Best Homemade Dinner Rolls
You only need 8 simple ingredients to create the most fluffy, buttery, tender, flaky on top, so easy and the best homemade dinner rolls!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Resting Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 12 Rolls
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk (warmed to about 110°F) whole or 2% is fine
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast (I used Red Star)
- 6 Tbsp Butter (melted)
- 1 Egg (room temperature, lightly beaten)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3-4 Cup All purpose flour/Bread Flour
- 1 Tbsp Butter (for brushing on top)
PROOF THE YEAST:Mix warm milk, yeast and 2 Tbsp sugar in a large mixing bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy.MAKE THE DOUGH:1. Melt and cool the butter completely. Add the remaining sugar, egg, butter, 3 cups of flour and salt to the bowl. Mix them all to combine well and develop gluten for 3-4 mins.2. Now knead the dough and add flour in small increments as required to form a soft and pliable dough. The dough shouldn't be sticky but still be moist to touch. (You can make the dough in a stand mixer on medium speed, if you own one for 5-6 minutes, or until it comes together and pulls away from the sides.)FIRST RISE:1. Coat the dough in some oil, also oil the sides of bowl. Cover it with a kitchen towel or foil and let it rise in a warm environment until double in size.2. Grease a baking 9x13" pan or 2 9 inches square/round pans and set them aside.3. Punch the dough down after it is doubled.SHAPE THE ROLLS:Divide the dough into 12-14 portions eyeballing it. Shape them into balls using your hands until smooth.SECOND RISE:Place them in the prepared pan and cover with a damp towel. Again let them rise until double for about 30-45 minutes) in some place warm.BAKE: When you notice your rolls have risen halfway, preheat your oven to 375°F. Bake the well risen rolls for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden on the outside and sound hollow when tapped on top with a spoon/spatula.Remove the rolls from oven and brush with butter.Serve them warm!
Dinner Roll Tips:
Cover leftover rolls in a foil and store in an air tight container at room temperature. Never store rolls in fridge.
- How do you store dinner rolls overnight?
Both baked/unbaked rolls can be frozen.
- How to freeze Dinner Rolls?
- Baked rolls can be frozen in a plastic bag foiled individually for upto a month.
- Unbaked rolls can be frozen after rolling individually. Place rolled balls in greased baking tray for 2-3 hours in freezer. Now you can store them in a freezer bag for 2 months.
- When ready to bake, thaw and let them rise in baking pan and bake as directed.
You can thaw dinner rolls in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter top. Serve them after re-warming.
- How do you unfreeze a roll?
Bread rolls are best re-heated in oven. Place rolls on a baking dish/tray, cover it with a foil. Place some water in a ramekin along side the baking dish. Re-heat rolls in a 300 deg F pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes.
- How do you reheat bread rolls?
Soak a paper towel in water, squeeze out as much as possible and cover your roll in it tightly. Place it in microwave for 10 seconds.
- How do you moisten dry dinner rolls?