Whole wheat chocolate walnuts breakfast muffins
Meet my new favorite morning obsession! Big and fat whole wheat chocolate walnut breakfast muffins. These are light as a cupcake and tall as a muffin. Just what you want!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time23 mins
Total Time28 mins
Servings: 4 Muffins
- 3/4 Cup (85 gms) Whole wheat flour
- 6 Tbsps(90 gms) Sour cream
- 4 Tbsp Any flavorless cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup Honey/brownsugar
- 1 (4 Tbsp) Egg
- 2 tsp Instant coffee granules
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Mini chocolate chips
- 2/3 Cup Walnuts
1. Preheat your oven to 420°F and line a muffin pan with 4 (or 8 liners-if baking 8 muffins) liners. Set aside.2. Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda twice. Chop walnuts in small chunks and mix with chocolate chips.3. Beat egg with coffee until light and frothy. Add sour cream, honey, vanilla, oil and salt. Beat well for a minute or so. 4. Add flour and mix just until combined.5. Fold in 1/3 of the chocolate-walnut mix and save the rest for toppings.6. Spoon the batter in the lined muffin tin. And fill these till the brim. Top them with the remaining walnuts and chocolate chips.7. Bake the muffins at 420°F for 7 minutes and reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake them for another 14-16 minutes. Or until a tooth pick in the center comes out clean. (*See temperature for 8 muffins in recipe notes)8. Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Cool down further on a wire rack.Storage:These muffins stay fresh in at room temperature for 3 days, 7 days in refrigerator covered tightly. You may freeze them at ease for about 2 months. Thaw at room temperature/in refrigerator or heat up in microwave for 20-30 seconds before devouring!
• Please don't over fold the batter. Do it and stay ready to witness a heart breaking-throat choking-fat, dry and chewy muffin lying in front of you. To avoid this, fold in only till no dry flour is visible in the batter.
• If these big guys are too much for you to handle, bake 8 instead of 4. That way you can better retain moistness in them. Even if you over mix them slightly.
• For 8 muffins keep the oven temperature at 350 deg F throughout. And bake for about 21-24 minutes.
• These muffins aren't overly sweet. If you prefer them sweeter, add about 1-2 tablespoons of extra sugar to suit your palate.