Orange cupcake recipe with orange frosting
Fluffy, moist and light orange cupcake recipe with sweet orange scent topped with fresh orange frosting.
Servings: 14 Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) All purpose flour
- 3/4 cups (155g) Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 3 (large) Egg whites
- 1/4 cup (57g) Sour cream
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp (84 gms) Butter (unsalted, at Room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 3 Tbsp Orange juice
- 1 Tbsp Orange zest
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Finely grated orange zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and line your muffin pans with liners. You will need two pans if you are baking 14 cupcakes. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) together and set aside.
2. Add egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Beat for about a minute until frothy using a handheld or stand mixture and the balloon whisk attachment. Add half of the sugar, pouring a tablespoon at a time and whisking till the whites reach soft peak stage.3. In a handheld or stand mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment) beat butter for about a minute. Add sugar and beat on high for about 3 minutes. The mixture will be light and creamy. Add half of the dry ingredients and pour in sour cream, milk, vanilla extract, water, orange juice and zest and mix well to combine.4. Now fold in half of the meringue using a spatula. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients and fold in the rest of meringue. Take care not to over mix the batter at this stage.5. Pour batter in the cupcake liners and bake for about 15-17 minutes. Or until they pass the toothpick test. Let the cupcakes cool completely at room temperature before frosting.For the orange frosting-1. Beat the room temperature butter on high with a whisk attachment for about two minutes. Add a cup of sugar and beat well until creamy and combined. Add another cup of sugar and beat well.2. Now add the orange zest, a tbsp of juice and another cup of sugar and whisk to incorporate well.3. Add in the last batch of sugar and the remaining amount of orange juice as required for the right consistency. Continue to beat well till the buttercream gets a smooth, silky and pipeable .4. Pipe on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with raspberries and a mint sprig or as you please.
- You may replace sour cream with greek yogurt if you wish. But this affects the soft texture of this cupcakes to some extent. Greek yogurt makes them a little dense.
- I recommend using freshly squeezed orange juice for that real orange flavor in these cupcakes.
- If you wish to bake a little large cupcakes then bake this recipe in 12 cupcake liners.