Healthy chocolate muffins with chocolate chips and fresh cherries
These healthy chocolate muffins are moist as a chocolate cake and light as a cupcake. You can never tell these are healthified!
Servings: 8 Muffins
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsps (84 gms) Whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ¾ tsp Baking powder
- ¾ tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 2 large Eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Coconut oil (or any other flavorless oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Cherries (ripen and diced)
- 3-4 Cherries (fresh, diced)
- 2 Tbsp Milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 8 liners. Set it aside.2. Sift flour, cocoa, salt with baking powder and baking soda twice.3. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg until frothy. Add coconut oil, vanilla, milk and honey to the egg mixture. Mix everything well.4. Pour these wet ingredients over dry and fold using a spatula. Take extra care not to over mix the batter. Over mixing can result in dense muffins. Fold only till no flour is visible in the batter. 5. Fold in chocolate chips and diced cherries. Divide batter equally in the pre-lined liners. Top with chocolate chips and cherries toppings. 6. Bake the muffins for 16-18 minutes. Or until they pass the toothpick test. Mine were done in 17 minutes. Do not over bake them. It will result in a dense and dry bake. Not so delicious!7. Let them cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Cool further on a wire rack. Enjoy them warm!
- If you do not have whole wheat pastry flour in your pantry right now, you may use half whole wheat and half all purpose flour. Even using 100% apf works well in this recipe.
- Any left overs can be stored at room temperature covered in an air tight container for 2-3 days. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up-to 7 days. Warm them up in microwave before enjoying.
- These chocolate muffins are freezer friendly. You can store them for 3 months in the freezer. Thaw them overnight in the fridge and bring to room temperature or re-heat to enjoy!
Serving: 1Muffin | Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Sodium: 190mg | Sugar: 33g