Easy Apple Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
Deliciously spiced, over the top moist and easy Apple Coffee Cake with buttery crumb topping is here to remind you that it is almost fall!
Servings: 6 Slices
- 1/2 Cup (8 Tbsp, 1 stick) Butter (softened to room temp)
- 3/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg (room temp)
- 2 medium Apples (Cored and grated with peel on)
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Cup Whole wheat pastry flour (or 1/2 cup apf+ 1/2 cup Whole wheat or 1 cup Apf)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Butter (melted)
- 6 Tbsp Light brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Water/milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 6'' square cake tin with parchment paper. Set it aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. About 2-3 mns. Add egg and beat it in.
3. Now stir in freshly grated apples, vanilla and all the spices.
4. Sift flour, baking soda and salt over wet ingredients and fold in to form batter. Do not over mix. Batter will be thick.
5. Pour in the pre-lined tin. Top with crumb topping and bake for 45-55 mns or until the cake passes toothpick test. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and invert on a wire rack to cool down further.
How do I know when my apple cake is done?
When baked the apple cake will pull away from the sides of pan. And will be slightly springy to touch in the middle. It will also pass the toothpick test.
How long does Apple Cake keep?
Usually fruity cakes contain a ton of moisture. Apple cake will keep well at room temperature stored at room temp, covered tightly. And in the fridge for 5 days.
For longer storage freeze the cake in air tight container for up to 2 months.
Best Apples for baking:
I used a Red delicious and a Granny Smith for this apple cake. All crispy and tart apples work well in baking.
Fuji apples, Pink Lady, Honey Crisps and Gala Apples hold strong in baking too!