Homemade Condensed Milk
Homemade Condensed Milk using three simple ingredients. It's texture is super creamy and thick. This stuff tastes just like milky caramelized sugar!
Servings: 1 Cup
- 2 Cups (500 ml) Full Fat Milk (even 2% works)
- ¾ Cup (150 gms) Granulated Sugar
- a pinch Baking Soda
1. Pour milk to a thick bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Add sugar to it.
2. Whisk or keep stirring with a spatula until it thickens. Take care to stir it continuously, so it doesn't stick to the botton of your pan. This will take about 15-25 minutes.
3. Switch flame off and add a pinch of baking soda to this mixture.
4. Keep stirring in intervals as the milk is cooling. This will prevent the condensed milk from forming a layer on top.
5. Allow to cool down to room temperature. Store in a clean jar!
This recipe yields around 8 oz milk. You can easily double it if you wish to make 15 oz, that equals a can of condensed milk.
How long does homemade condensed milk last?
About a month in refrigerator and up to 3 months when frozen.
Can you freeze condensed milk?
Yes, homemade condensed milk can be frozen up to 3 months, bring to room temp before using.
Will sweetened condensed milk Harden?
It will thicken a lot in the refrigerator, but will come back to it's thick and creamy viscosity at room temp.
Serving: 1Tbsp | Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 1.1g | Fat: 1.1g | Sodium: 12mg | Sugar: 12.6g