Cranberry Coffee Cake
Soft and buttery Cranberry Coffee Cake with fresh cranberries. This coffee crumb cake is a perfect balance of tart, sweet and a slight crunch from pecans!
Servings: 6 medium slices
- ½ Cup Butter (unsalted, room temp)
- ½ Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg (room temp)
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Buttermilk (room temp)
- 2 Tbsp Orange zest (from 2 medium-large oranges)
- ½ Cup Pecan halves
- 1 Cup Cranberries (Fresh/frozen, I used fresh)
For the Streusel Topping:
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Butter (unsalted, melted)
- ½ Cup + 1Tbsp (68 gms) All purpose flour
To make Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
To make Cranberry Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 deg F and line a 6 inch or 8 inch baking pan with parchment or alternatively you may grease it with butter and flour then. Set it aside too.
Now in a medium bowl, using hand held or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until very creamy and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
Next add in egg, orange zest and vanilla. Mix in only till egg disappears into the batter.
Fold sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in the batter, alternating with buttermilk.
Also fold in cranberries and nuts. Save a few to top of streusel (optional).
Pour in the prepared pan and top with the crumb topping. Top with remaining pecans and cranberries.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 20-25 minutes before slicing and serving.
I like a lot of orange flavor in my cranberry cake, if you aren't a fan of orange use up to a Tbsp of zest.
Storing and freezing instructions:
- Coffee cake can be stored at room temp. for 2 days, covered tightly.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- You can also freeze this cake in an airtight container for 2 months. Thaw on counter top or overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat individual slices to your liking in microwave/oven before enjoying.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 25g | Sodium: 474mg | Sugar: 30g