Best Molasses Cookie Recipe
With slight crunch on the edges, soft interiors, chewy texture and lots of warm spices, these are undoubtedly the Best Molasses Cookie Recipe!
Servings: 12 Cookies
- ¾ Cup Butter (Unsalted, room temp)
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 large Egg (room temp)
- ⅓ Cup Molasses (I use dark variety, but not blackstrap!)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups + 6 Tbsp (gms) Flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Cloves
- ⅛ tsp All Spice
- ¼ Cup Granulate Sugar (for rolling cookie dough balls before baking)
In the bowl of your stand mixer using paddle attachment, beat butter light smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and beat on medium high speed for 2 minutes. You can also make this recipe using a hand mixer.
Add an egg and beat it in to combine on medium low speed. Next add molasses and vanilla in. Combine it all well, scraping the sides as needed.
Now sift all the dry ingredients (flour, spices, salt and baking soda) over wet and beat just until the dough comes together.
Cover and chill the dough for 4 hours minimum (or up to 3 days)
When ready to bake preheat your oven to 350 deg F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper or silicon mat and set aside.
Divide and roll the cookie dough in to 12 equal balls. Roll each of them in granulated sugar and place them 2 inches apart from each other.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookie will puff up and will begin to crack slightly on top.
Cool on the tray for about 5 minutes and transfer on wire stand to allow to cool down further.
How to store Molasses Cookies:
Molasses: Brands I have used and love: Grandma’s Robust Molasses, Grandma’s Unsulphured Molasses and Baker's Corner Unsulphured Molasses.
- Store Molasses Cookies at room temp, covered tightly up to 5 days.
- To store leftovers (if any), keep them covered in the refrigerator.
- Baked or unbaked cookie dough can be frozen for 1 ½ months.
- To freeze unbaked cookie dough: Roll the dough into balls and chill them individually on a baking tray for 1-2 hours or till very firm to touch. Then store them in ziploc bags. No need to thaw before baking. Just add a minute or two more to the baking time.
- Thaw baked cookie on counter top for 5-6 hours before serving.
Serving: 1Cookie | Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Sodium: 303mg | Sugar: 29g