Small Vanilla Cake Recipe
A Small Vanilla Cake Recipe that bakes a one layered, moist and tender crumb cake decorated with sweet vanilla buttercream. A perfect 6 inch vanilla cake for small gatherings.
Servings: 8 Slices
- ⅓ Cup Butter (unsalted, room temp)
- ⅓ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Egg Whites (separate yolks when eggs are cold, then bring to room temp)
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (Full fat, room temp)
- ⅓ Cup Sour Cream
- ⅓ Cup Whole Milk
- ⅔ + ½ Cups (133 Gms) All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅛ tsp Salt
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 Cup Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Whipping Cream
- A pinch Salt
- ½ Cup Valentines Sprinkles
- Few drops Pink Gel Food Coloring
Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease/spray a 6 x 3 inches round pan.
In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar till it gets light and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
Now beat in the egg whites. Add and beat in sour cream and extracts next. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over wet. Now add milk and gently fold the batter till combined.
The batter will be thick. Do not over mix.
Bake for about 45-55 minutes. The cake is ready when it passes the tooth pick test. Cool it for 10-15 minutes in the pan. Cool down further on a wire rack before frosting.
For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
In a stand mixer fixed with whipping attachment, beat butter for a minute on medium high speed.
Now add and beat in sugar, vanilla and 1 Tbsp of whipping cream and beat on low for about a minute. Then increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes.
If you find your vanilla buttercream to be too thick, add a little more whipping cream.
Frost and pipe as desired on cool cake. Decorate with sprinkles.
Perfect Cake Baking Tips:
- Any left overs will stay good at room temp (covered tightly) for 2 days.
- For longer storage, keep in refrigerator up to 5 days!
- This Vanilla (frosted/unfrosted) cake can also be frozen for 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on counter top for a few hours before serving.
- For a light and fluffy cake, always use room temperature ingredients.
- Take care not to over mix and not to over bake.
- Store cakes covered at all times
- Since this is a single layered cake, it will take around 50 minutes in the oven. If you decide to bake it in two 6 inches pan, it should take in between 20-25 minutes.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 111g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 34g | Sodium: 369mg | Sugar: 84g