Angel Food Cake Cupcakes
Soft, light and delicate Angel Food Cake Cupcakes that taste fluffier than clouds. Made with zero oil/butter, this is of the best Summer Desserts ever!
Servings: 10 Cupcakes
Hand held/stand mixer
- ½ (100 g) Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ (40 g) Cup Cake Flour
- A pinch Salt
- 4 Large Egg Whites at room temperature
- 2 tsp Warm Water
- ½ tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 (240 ml) Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (Super Chilled)
- 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Cornstarch (optional, but if used topping will hold shape better)
- 10 medium Strawberries
- ¼ Cup Blueberries
Preheat oven 325°F (163°C) to and line a muffin pan with 9-10 cupcake liners. Set aside.
Sift cake flour and salt 4-5 times to aerate it and keep it aside.
In a clean and large bowl, using stand or hand held mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites for a minute till frothy. Then add cream of tartar, warm water and a little sugar. With mixer running, continue to adding sugar slowly and whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
Whipping may take up to 6 minutes. Add vanilla and mix it in.
Add and fold sifted flour in various additions. Do not over mix. We don't want to deflate air bubbles in the batter.
Now spoon batter in the pre-prepared liners about 2-3 to ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Or till the cupcakes turn golden on top and spring back to touch.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan. Quick Tip: Then invert the cupcakes and allow to cool down in the muffin pan for 5-10 mins more. This will prevent them from deflating.
Homemade Whipped Cream Topping:
Beat cold whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch together in a mixing bowl using whisk attachment till medium peaks are formed.
Do not over beat the cream or else it will curdle. If not serving instantly, store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The cream will loose some of its stiff texture. You may give it a quick whisk with a whisker (by hand) and it will be ready to go again!
Pipe or spread on cooled cupcakes and top with fresh fruits.
Storing the cupcakes:
Leftover cupcakes can be stored covered in refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Make ahead Tip:
Make the cupcakes 1-2 days ahead. Cover and store in an air tight container on room temp. Make the frosting a day in advance and store in refrigerator (covered tightly).
Freezing Strawberry Cupcakes:
Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for about 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on kitchen counter before enjoying.
- Aerate your flour by sifting and don't dump all the flour into whipped egg whites at once. Instead add flour in 3-4 additions and fold after each addition.
- Start with room temperature egg whites. Do not skip cream of tartar while whisking egg whites.
- Add sugar slowly while beating egg whites to beat them successfully to their full volume.
- Employ cut and fold technique to mix dry ingredients into egg whites mixture. You don't want to deflate all those air bubbles.
- Allow cupcakes to cool upside down. This will prevent them from shrinking.
Serving: 1Cupcake | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 31mg | Sugar: 14g