Simple Vanilla Cake Recipe
Easy and simple Vanilla Cake that bakes fluffy, soft and oh-so-moist. Baked in 6 inch pans, this cake is super easy to decorate and is perfect for small gatherings!
Servings: 12 Slices
- 1 Cup Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Butter (at room temp)
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg + 2 additional egg whites (at room temp)
- 1 ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Buttermilk (at room temp)
- ¾ Cup Butter (at room temp)
- 3 Cups (360 gms) Confectioners' Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream (or full fat milk)
- ¾ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease three 6-inch cake pans, flour and line them with parchment paper and set aside.
Using a handheld or stand mixer beat butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, 2 egg whites, and vanilla extract on high speed until combined (for about 2 minutes). Mixture will look curdled as a result of the egg liquid and solid butter combining. Do not worry it will come together when you will mix dry ingredients in!
Sift dry ingredients over wet. Now pour in the buttermilk and mix just until combined. You can also fold the batter with hands using a spatula at this stage. Pour batter in the prepared pans evenly. Bake for about 23-26 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of cake should come out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
To make Vanilla Buttercream:
In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Then beat for 2 more minutes increasing the speed. Frosting will turn creamy and fluffy at this point.
Assemble and Decorate:
Slice a thin layer off tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or cake turntable. Cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd cake layer and evenly cover the top with frosting again. Top with the third cake layer and spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
Vanilla Cake stays good at room temperature for a day, covered tightly. If you are planning to store it for a longer period leftovers must be stored in the refrigerator, covered at all times.
Refrigerate before cutting:
After frosting the cake refrigerate it for about 30 mins to 1 hour to get slices that hold shape better!
Tips to make perfect Cake:
- Always start with room temperature ingredients.
- Never skimp on the beating time of the cake.
- Do not overmix the batter after putting dry ingredients in.
- You can bake this cake in 2 6-inch pans instead of three, if you prefer thicker layers. Keep an eye on the cake after 24 minutes in that case. Same room temperature.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 25g | Sodium: 273mg | Sugar: 75g