Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Pistachio Shortbread Cookies made as Pistachio drop Cookies. You need only 7 ingredients and 30 minutes of dough chilling time to pop these shortbread cookies in your mouth!
Servings: 18 Cookies
- ½ Cup Butter (Salted, softened to room temperature)
- 6 tbsp Confectioners' Sugar
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Pistachios
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- Few drops Gel Food Coloring (optional, but pretty)
- 1 Cup Confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Lemon Zest
- A pinch Salt
Pulse pistachios in a blender/processor until small crumbs form. You need 6 Tbsps of very finely chopped pistachios for the cookie dough batter.
Using a handheld/stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for a minute until creamy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract, then beat on medium-high speed until combined. Next add in flour, 6 tbsps pistachio crumbs (save two tablespoons to decorate on top) and food coloring and beat until combined.
Cover the cookie dough and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes and up to 3 days. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper/ silicone baking mats. Roll the cookie dough into balls, about 1 Tablespoon of dough each and place dough balls on baking sheets. Chill the dough balls again in freezer while your oven preheats.
Bake cookies until golden brown on the bottom edges about 14-15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack. Make sure cookies are cool to touch before dipping in icing.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Tips to make perfect Pistachio Cookies:
Pistachios: While blending pistachios, there will be some powdered/ground pistachio powder collected at the bottom of blender. You will need to use it in this dough, don't discard it.
Sugar: We will use confectioners' sugar instead of granulated one. Since confectioners' sugar has some cornstarch already added in it, cookies will bake thicker and softer.
Butter: Skip salt from the recipe if you are using salted butter or even salted pistachios.
- Baked cookies will stay good at room temp. covered at all times for about a week.
- Cookie dough can be stored in refrigerator for two days. Allow it to get slightly warm before rolling the cookie dough balls out.
- You can freeze baked cookies with or without glaze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or on counter top before enjoying.
- Cookie dough balls can also be frozen for up to 3 months. No need to thaw them, just bake for an additional minute.
Serving: 1Cookie | Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 45mg | Sugar: 3g