Lemon Coconut Cake
Soft and fluffy Lemon Coconut Cake made with coconut flavored cake, layered with homemade Lemon Curd frosted with easy Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with more coconut!
Servings: 9 Slices
- 5 large Egg Whites (room temperature)
- ¾ Cup Milk (room temperature)
- ¾ Cup Butter (Unsalted, softened to room temperature)
- 1 ¾ Cups Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ Cups Cake Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 1 ½ Cup Lemon Curd
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces (225g) Brick style Cream Cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ Cup Butter (Unsalted, softened to room temperature)
- 3 Cups Confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- a pinch Salt
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Lemon Slice
Spray three 6 inch cake pans with baking spray and line them with parchment paper and set them aside. Whisk together egg whites and ¼ cup of milk in a medium bowl until slightly frothy and mixed well.
With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Now sift in dry ingredients (cake flour, baking powder and salt) and give it a mix. Beat in egg white mixture until fully blended. Next add in remaining milk and beat for 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed. Fold in the coconut.
Pour cake batter into prepared pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 26-28 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
Coconut Cake success tips:
- Lemon curd filling can be too thin to be filled by itself (I did it anyway!) But combining the lemon filling layer with cream cheese frosting will make sure.
- Don't sub cake flour with all purpose flour. Your cake won't have that same soft and tender crumb.
- Always use room temperature ingredients. Plan ahead and take them out of refrigerator at least an hour before beginning. In case you forget use hacks to warm up butter and eggs soon. ;)
- Use brick/block style cream cheese to make frosting and not the one that is sold in tubs.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 672kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Sodium: 210mg | Sugar: 51g