Chewy Molasses Cookie Recipe
Soft and chewy Molasses Cookie recipe baked as Molasses thumbprint cookies. You'll love their soft and puffy texture filled with heart warming flavors!
Servings: 13 Cookies
- 6 Tbsp (85 gms) Butter (unsalted, Softened to room temp)
- 6 Tbsp (75 gms) Brown Sugar (I use dark)
- ½ large Egg (see notes on how to measure it)
- 2 ½ Tbsp (52 gms) Molasses (Dark variety, unsulphured)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ tsp Cinnamon (Ground)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Ground)
- ⅛ tsp Cloves (Ground)
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg (Ground)
For Rolling: ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Melted Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp Non-pareil sprinkles
In a medium bowl beat butter on medium for a minute. Add brown sugar and beat it in till light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla. Beat it in too. Now add in molasses and mix them in.
Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and spices) over wet and fold in to combine. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for 2 hours minimum or up to 3 days.
Roll the cookie dough into 13 round balls and roll them in granulated sugar.
Place the balls 2 inches apart on a baking tray and stick the tray in the freezer while you preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). This little step ensures super puffy cookies.
Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes or until their edges are just turning golden. They will look puffy and soft in the center.
Take the cookies out of oven and right away make an indent in the center using a teaspoon. Allow them to cool completely.
Melt ¼ cup of chocolate chunks/chocolate chips. Allow to cool slightly and pour in the indentation of each cookie.
Quickly, before the chocolate sets, top all the cookies with sprinkles for a festive touch.
To measure half egg: Break an egg and whisk it lightly. Now measure out 2 tablespoons out of it and add add to the cookie dough.
Pro Tip: After rolling the cookie balls, stick your cookie balls (placed in baking tray) in the freezer while you preheat the oven.
Cold and firm cookie balls will yield thicker cookies!
How to store Molasses Cookies:
- Store Molasses Cookies at room temp, covered tightly up to 5 days.
- To store leftovers (if any), keep them covered in the refrigerator.
- Baked or unbaked cookie dough can be frozen for 1 ½ months. No need to thaw before baking. Just add a minute or two more to the baking time.
- Thaw baked cookie on counter top for 5-6 hours before serving.
Serving: 1Cookie | Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 120mg | Sugar: 9g