Easy scones with funfetti sprinkles and vanilla glaze
Easy scones recipe studded with funfetti sprinkles, dipped in a vanilla glaze and dotted with more sprinkles. Yep, I smell birthday breakfast!
Servings: 4 Scones
- 1/2 Cup (63 gms) All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup (60 gms) Cake flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup (50 gms) Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Rainbow sprinkles
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream (+more for brushing on top, about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond extract
For the vanilla glaze
- 1/2 Cup Confectioners' sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) Milk
- 1/2 tsp Clear vanilla extract
- Salt a pinch
Extra sprinkles for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 deg F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper/silicon mat. Set aside.2. Sift both the flours, baking powder and salt in a medium/large bowl. Add sugar and sprinkles to it. Now mix in heavy cream and extracts. Fold/stir the batter GENTLY with a wooden spoon or spatula until no dry bits of flour are visible.3. You may sprinkle in a tablespoon or two of flour additionally, if the dough is too sticky. Dough should just be moist and not particularly sticky.4. On a floured work surface, pat the dough out into a 3/4'' circle. And cut into 4 triangular wedges with a sharp knife. Place them 2'' apart on the baking sheet. Brush them with cream and keep them in freezer to chill for 15 minutes.5. Bake the chilled scones for about 14-15 minutes or untill their edges start to brown. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.To prepare vanilla glaze:1. Whisk sugar, milk, salt and vanilla together until combined. If you find the glaze too thin, add a little more confectioners' sugar. If you find it too viscous for your liking, add some more milk.2. Dunk the scones in the prepared glaze or drizzle it on top.
3. After icing, top with more sprinkles if desired.
- Scones are best enjoyed right away. Leftovers keep well covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- You can freeze these scones without icing for upto 2 months.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. If taking that route, Pat the dough into a 3/4'' circle and cut into 8 wedges. Baking time will be same.