Lemon cake with fresh fruits
This sunshine dessert will directly transport you to those lemon lands where freshness, zing and bright yellow tinge know no end!
Servings: 6 pieces
- 75 gms (10 tbsp) Cake Flour
- 80 gms Egg whites
- 60 gms Egg yolk
- 120 gms Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1.5 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice (mixed with 1/2 Tbsp water)
- 30 ml Milk
- 1.5 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 40 ml oil
1. Preheat your oven to 320°F (160°C) and line a 6-inch square cake tin with parchment paper. Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.2. Add egg yolks + 40 gms to sugar to a mixing bowl and beat for a minute. Add oil, vanilla extract, salt, milk, water, lemon juice and zest to the bowl and mix in till everything gets combined well. 3. Now add in atleast three times sifted cake flour and baking powder to the mixture and fold it in.4. In a separate clean and dry bowl, add egg whites (at room temperature only) and beat in for a minute. Now add cream of tartar/lemon juice to it and beat well. Slowly keep on adding the remaining sugar and beating continuously until the egg whites form stiff peaks. This may take 5-6 minutes.5. Mix egg whites in the yellow cake batter in three batches. And fold in using a spatula.6. Pour the mix in your lined cake tin and bake for 25-30 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.7. Invert the cake tin, as soon as you take it out of the oven and let it cool down completely.
- It's very crucial that your egg whites are at room temperature, else they won't get whipped to full volume.
- Fold in the egg whites and the batter with light hands. You don't want the air bubbles to skip out of the batter.
- Keep an eye on the cake after 19 mns. Oven temperatures vary sometimes. Over-baking may result into a dry bake.
- You can make your own cake flour at home. Just take 1 cup all purpose flour. Replace 2 tbsp out of it with cornflour/cornstarch. And sift it 4-5 times. There you have it.