Moist and Decadent Zucchini Chocolate Cupcakes hiding loads of Veggies in them. But you will never be able to guess. Pile them high with Chocolate Fudge Frosting and you are eating the Best Chocolate Cupcakes ever!
Try my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins next! Find all my Chocolate Dessert Recipes here!
If you love to bake with zucchini you are sure to like these Cute Chocolate Cupcakes. Is it not the best way to eat your Greens! 😉
Cupcakes Taste and texture:
- Soft and squishy Cupcakes
- Decadent Chocolate Flavor
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting takes them over to the top
- Loaded with Chocolate chips in every bite
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder: Don't use dutch cocoa powder for this recipe. If you don't have natural one right now, try my chocolate zucchini muffins linked at the top of this post.
- Espresso Powder: Do not skip it. A little espresso powder amplifies the chocolate flavor and you won't taste coffee at all!
- Oil: Oil makes these cupcakes super moist. With so much chocolate flavor going on in the cupcakes, you won't miss butter at all.
- Sugar: For this recipe we are using both granulated and brown sugars.
- Sour Cream: If you don't have sour cream on hand, you may replace it with plain yogurt (full fat).
- Mini Chocolate Chips: I like to use choc chips inside the cupcakes batter and to top coz why not! 😉 If it's a lot of choc chips for you, skip them inside the batter or for decoration.
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes:
It can not get any easier!
- Shred and blot your zucchini.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together.
- Fold dry ingredients in wet.
- Add chocolate chips and blotted zucchini.
- Pour in liners
- And Bake!
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
You may use natural or dutch processed cocoa powder to make this frosting. I like it both ways. For this recipe I used natural cocoa.
I also like to add ½ Tbsp of corn syrup to make this frosting. You may leave it out, it you like. But it makes frosting super glossy and smooth.
How to Shred Zucchini?
- I used medium shredding blade to shred zucchini for this recipe. There is no need to peel the skin off.
- You may blot the shredded zucchini using a paper towel, on a fine strainer or just squeeze out all the extra liquid out of it.
How many zucchini are in a cup?
One medium zucchini yields about 1 cup of grated zucchini.
How long do frosted cupcakes stay fresh?
I'd say a day or 2 at room temperature. If you plan to store them for a longer period of time, keep them in refrigerator. Always store them in air tight containers.
More Chocolate Desserts for you:
Cream Cheese Chocolate Cookies
Small Batch Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
If you liked these Cupcakes give them a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Zucchini Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 Cup (250 g) All Purpose Flour
- 6 Tbsps (31 g) Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup (120 ml) Oil (Canola or vegetable)
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs (at room temp)
- 2 ½ Tbsp Sour Cream (or plain yogurt, at room temp)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cup Zucchini
- ½ Cup Semi sweet Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter (softened to room temp)
- 2 ¼ Cups confectioners' Sugar
- 6 Tbsps (32 g) Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- Pinch Salt
- ¾ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Mini Chocolate chips (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F and line a 12 count pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand held mixer beat eggs, both sugars, oil, sour cream and vanilla together till combined.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder over wet ingredients. Fold them gently till the flour disappears.
- Now add blotted zucchini and chocolate chips to the batter and fold them in.
- Pour batter in the prepared liners and bake for 18-22 minutes. Or till they pass the toothpick test.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
To make Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
- Using a hand held mixer beat room temp. butter until pale and creamy. About 1 ½ minutes. Add sifted cocoa and confectioners' sugar to butter. Also add milk, corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Beat the frosting for 2 more minutes. Add a little splash of milk if you find the frosting way too thick. And a little more confectioners' sugar if you find it too thin.
- Frost on cooled cupcakes as desired and top with chocolate chips.
- Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for about 2 months. Thaw completely before frosting.
I made these for my son's birthday and he loved them! They were a big hit here at the house!
So chocolatey and delicious! I love recipes that sneak in extra vegetables and nutrition. Perfect for the kiddos.
You can never go wrong with this combo. These cupcakes look amazingly delicious
Wow! Such a delicious recipe. The cupcakes were perfect and the zucchini kept them so moist. YUM!
I've never had zucchini in my desserts before, but this combo sounds like the texture would be incredible! Thanks for sharing!
So rich and moist! Chocolate lovers dream! My kids couldn't even tell there was zucchini in it
Renee | The Good Hearted Woman
I love using zucchini in cakes: it always makes baked goods stay so moist! This is a great recipe! I love that you are not afraid of the baking cocoa; so many recipes use too little cocoa and the result is flat and lacking. This recipe has plenty of cocoa, plus that wonderful espresso flavor boost - satisfying enough to ring your chocolate-loving bell!
Patty at Spoonabilities
OMG these cupcakes! Not only so out of this world yummy and decadent, but they are the most beautiful cupcakes I've ever seen!!
Anything that is yummy that I can sneak veggies in is a fantastic recipe for me! 🙂 Sounds great!
I love the addition of zucchini! You can not even taste it and it makes these cupcakes a healthy treat for me and the family!
I made your recipe for a gathering the other day and everyone kept asking for the recipe. It was totally a hit!
I like that you describe these as soft and squishy because there's nothing worse than a dry cupcake. I'll be trying your recipe!
These are absolutely delicious! Love how easy they are too! Will definitely be making again!
I love using zucchini for baking as it makes any cake or muffin moist! Love that we get to eat veggies as we enjoy these treats, too. Looks yummy!
I love the concept of adding veggies to sweet treats. That's what I do and it makes a great way for kids to get their 5 a day.
This was so amazing! Everyone at my house loved it!