Homemade Condensed Milk using three simple ingredients. Its texture is supremely creamy and thick. This stuff tastes just like milky caramelized sugar!
Have you ever tried making sweetened condensed milk at home?
If you answered no, you are in for a treat!
If you answered no, you are in for a bigger treat. You’d ask why!
- This homemade condensed milk tastes so much better than that store bought can. (Heck did you ever notice the price tag on it?)
- You will be immensely surprised at how creamy this recipe turns out. A pinch of a secret ingredient makes it happen.
So stay tuned!!!
Ingredients in homemade sweetened condensed milk
Easy peasy! 3 ingredients you have right now in your kitchen. And I am 275% sure of this fact!
- Milk: Any milk works. I like to use full fat. But seriously, 2 percent, or evaporated milk, even coconut milk can be used to make dairy free condensed milk.
- Sugar: To sweeten the condensed milk
- And a tiny pinch of Baking soda: Believe me, it is the game changer of homemade sweetened condensed milk. We will add it after we switch off the flame.Baking soda will instantly make your condensed milk frothy and supremely creamy!
How to make homemade condensed milk
You can make condensed milk at home in 3 easy steps!
- Step 1: Add sugar to milk in a sauce pan.
- Step 2: Boil the mixture till it thickens. Stir frequently in between. We don’t wan’t it to form lumps.
- Step 3: Switch the flame off. Add a dash of baking soda and watch the magic happening in your pan!
- Step 4: This step is entirely optional! If you notice any traces of lumps in your condensed milk, run it through a sieve.
I absolutely adore ideas on how to use sweetened condensed milk here!
Is Sweetened Condensed Milk supposed to be thick?
Yes, condensed milk is fairly thick and creamy in texture.
Which is thicker Evaporated milk or condensed milk?
Short answer is condensed milk.
How do you thicken sweetened condensed milk?
Boil milk and sugar on medium-high heat (stirring continuously) for about 15-20 mins. It will thicken. Add a pinch of baking soda after turning the flame off.
Can evaporated milk be substituted for sweetened condensed milk?
Sure can! Rest of the process in this recipe remains the same.
How much sugar do you add to evaporated milk to make condensed milk?
1 1/4 cup for every cup of condensed milk. Boil it till the mixture thickens!
Homemade Condensed Milk
- 500 ml Full Fat Milk (even 2% works)
- 3/4 Cup (150 gms) Granulated Sugar
- a pinch Baking Soda
- 1. Pour milk to a thick bottomed sauce pan. Add sugar to it.
- 2. Whisk or keep stirring with a spatula until it thickens. Take care to stir it continuously, so it doesn't stick to the botton of your pan. This will take about 15-25 minutes.
- 3. Switch the flame off and add a pinch of baking soda to this mixture.
- 4. Keep stirring for a few minutes as the milk is cooling. This will prevent the condensed milk from forming a layer on top.
- 5. Allow to cool down to room temperature. Store in a clean jar!