Meet my one of the most favorite chocolate desserts! Soft, decadent and super cute mini chocolate cupcakes. Pile them high with sweetened condensed milk frosting and you are in chocolate heaven!
This has been my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe since a long time. It produces the most perfect, fluffy and moist chocolate cupcake you will ever taste.
And this Chocolate frosting? Omg wait till you discover the ingredients in this frosting! Sink your teeth into it and you will be a fan!
So creamy, rich and fluffy. Yet perfectly pipeable frosting and such a breeze to make! Can you ask for more?
Mini Chocolate Cupcake recipe
Made with simple ingredients and no special equipments. Heck you won’t even need to break out a mixer for these cupcakes.
Oh and not even for the frosting (more on that in a minute!).
Mini chocolate cupcake recipe Ingredients
For making these easy chocolate cupcakes you will require:
- Unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not dutch processed).
- Granulated sugar and Light brown sugar (for extra moistness)
- Leaveners and egg for lift, salt and vanilla for flavor and oil as fat
- Also flour and buttermilk to make the batter
How to make mini chocolate cupcakes
- Add all your wet ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk them to combine.
- Next sift in dry ingredient over wet. (That way you will only use one bowl to make your cupcakes. 😉
- Fold them till the flour disappears in the batter.
- Pour in prepared liners and bake.
Chocolate frosting ingredients
For making the chocolate frosting you will need:
- A can of sweetened condensed milk
- Some baking chocolate
- A pinch of salt
- And a tsp of natural cocoa powder (optional, if you wish to make a sturdy frosting)
Frosting made with Eagle Brand’s Sweetened Condensed Milk and chocolate is cooked on stove top till it thickens. Cool it down and it is ready to be piped. Now this frosting pipes well on its own.
But if you want it to be sturdy and hold its shape better, add a tiny bit of cocoa powder to it and you are gold!
FAQs and tips for the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
Do mini cupcakes need liners?
Short answer is yes they do. For easy cleaning, better handling and hygiene. This way your pans will retain their non stick finish for a longer period.
How full should I fill mini cupcake liners?
I’d say no more than 2/3 of the liners. Any more batter and the cupcakes will spread far too much to yield flattened and crunchy tops.
Why do my cupcakes deflate?
- Over beating the batter
- Baking the cupcakes in too hot oven
- Opening the oven door while the cupcakes are baking
What is the cooking time for min cupcakes?
I’d say anywhere between 11-14 minutes. Or until they pass tooth pick test. It will never be more than 15 minutes.
How do you keep mini cupcakes moist?
- Firstly by not over baking them. As the cupcakes are M-I-N-I, they take very less time to bake. So keep a close eye on them after 10 mns.
- Secondly, always keep the cupcakes covered tightly. Frosted and unfrosted both!
I am working with Eagle Brand’s Sweetened Condensed Milk to bring you today’s recipe. All the opinions stated here are my own!
You obviously love chocolate, so give my chocolate bundt cake recipe a go!
You will easily flip for my MEGA thick and chewy choc-chip cookies!
Find many more easy and approachable desserts recipes here!
- 6 Tbsp (94 gms) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2.5 Tbsp Flavorless oil (I used avocado)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg (Room temp)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Sour cream
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 of (14 oz) Can Sweetened Condensed milk (I used Eagle Brand)
- 1 ounce Dark Baking Chocolate (chopped)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1-2 tsp Cocoa powder (Optional, if you want a sturdier frosting)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Line 12 mini cupcakes liners and preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- In a medium bowl add and whisk egg, vanilla, sugar and oil together using a balloon whisk.
- Next add milk and sour cream. Beat it well too.
- Now sift all the dry ingredients (four, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda) over wet ingredients using a sieve. *This little trick will save you an extra bowl and 2 minutes of your time 😉
- Now fold the dry ingredients into wet using a spatula. Don't over mix the batter
- Pour and divide the batter among 12 pre lined liners and bake for 11-13 minutes. Or until the cupcakes pass tooth pick test. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- In a sauce pan, melt chocolate in condensed milk over medium heat. Continue to cook on medium flame, stirring constantly until the frosting thickens. This might take about 3-5 mins.
- Remove from heat, cook down slightly and add a pinch of salt, vanilla and cocoa powder (if adding). Let it cool completely before frosting.