Easy Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe made in 1:30 minutes. You will never want to bake another chocolate cake after you try this simple, no egg and moist chocolate cake for one or two that is ready in minutes!
Try my Easy Chocolate Cake Pops next. Find all my Chocolate Dessert Recipes here!
Taste & Texture:
- Soft and Chocolatey bite of decadence
- Moist yet fluffy crumb
- Topped with gooey chocolate chips
- Not a dry crumb in sight
- Flour: We are using all purpose flour as the base of this recipe.
- Oil: Don't reduce its amount in the cake batter. Any flavorless oil will work here.
- Leaveners: Both baking powder and baking soda are required for a perfect rise.
- Water: Water will make the batter a bit on the thinner side. But this will make the most moist cake.
- Coffee: It is optional but adds a ton of flavor to the cake. I suggest you don't skip it. And worry not! It won't add coffee flavor to it but will enhance chocolate flavor.
- Milk: Full fat milk produces a rich cake. But 2 percent works just fine, I always use it here.
How to make a Chocolate Cake in a mug:
- Mix milk, water and coffee in a bowl and heat it up for 30 secs. Mix it all in and add vinegar, sugar and vanilla.
- Sift and add flour, leaveners and cocoa. Give it all a mix and form the cake batter
- Transfer in a microwave safe mug and bake for 1 and ½ minutes.
Which type of mug is used for mug cake?
Always use microwave safe mug to make mug cakes. I know it sounds obvious, but make sure to check on the bottom of your mug that it is safe to be used in microwave.
Why are mug cakes chewy?
Number one reason for this to happen is you might have over baked your mug cake. To avoid this bake your cake in microwave only till the top looks just set. Or follow the instruction time closely as the recipe states.
How long should I cook the cake in microwave?
Cooking time of microwave cake can vary slightly depending on the microwave and the mug you use. So I suggest to keep a close eye on it. As soon as the cake looks set on top, it is done.
So keep checking after small increments, when cooking it for the first time. My cake usually take a minute and half.
How do you make a mug cake better?
- Make sure everything is mixed well in the batter. To ensure even mixing, I make my batter in a bowl and then quickly transfer it into the mug.
- Do not over bake the cake. It will set a lot more as it cools down.
- Don't attempt to add eggs in mug cakes. Since one egg will be too much for such small quantity of cake.
More Chocolate Desserts:
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
If you liked this Recipe give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 10 oz Microwave safe mug
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) Milk
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (36ml) Water
- ½ tsp Instant Coffee
- 4 tbsp (50 gms) Sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) Oil
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp (47 gms) All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (heaping) Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp (heaping) Baking Soda
- a pinch Salt
- 2 ½ tbsp Cocoa Powder (Natural, Unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp Mini chocolate chips (to top after baking)
- Mix milk, water and coffee in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds. Give them a quick stir to mix everything in and add oil, vanilla, sugar and vinegar next. Mix again.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt over wet ingredients and fold until the streaks of flour and cocoa disappears in the batter.
- Pour in a 10 oz sized microwave mug and bake for 1 ½ minutes or till the top of the cake looks set.
- Top with chocolate chips and allow to cool down for a minute or two before enjoying!
- I don't recommend storing mug cakes for long. Since these taste best baked fresh.
- If you are required to keep them for a few hours, store them at room temperature covered tightly at all times. I use cling wraps to cover the mugs.
- Don't skip vinegar from the recipe. You need it to react with leaveners and give cake a proper lift.
- I highly recommend using a kitchen scale to measure your ingredients to eliminate all the guess work and eye balling. It rally makes a difference in the texture of the final bake.
- To bake this cake in a single mug you will require a 10 oz mug.
- If you don't have such a big sized mug, you can divide this batter between two small mugs and bake them individually for 1 ½ minutes each.
- If you want only one small mug cake that serves one (instead of a big), simply half this recipe and bake for 1 ½ minutes.
Can't believe how quickly this goodness is made!
Delicious recipe! And so easy. Great way to satisfy that sweet tooth on a whim.
My kids enjoyed making this recipe for their after dinner dessert. Thanks for sharing.
This chocolate mug cake sounds amazing. I would love to try it. Maybe this weekend when I have time. Pinning! Thanks for sharing.
I JUST made this, and it is DANGEROUS! I had everything I needed to make it, and it only took a few minutes. I have no self-control, so this could be bad. LOL
Amazing recipe Neha!
This is a very easy recipe that my family liked a lot.. We have prepared this 5 times already
Great for a chocolate lover who just wants a quick little something. I always have some of my regular brew in the frig. Can I substitute regular brewed coffee (cooled) for the water (instead of using water & the instant coffee)?
Yes Absolutely you can Kitty! Use 47 ml of that brewed coffee.
Easy Chocolate Mug Cake is such an easy recipe! My niece and nephews can do this and your recipe seems so tasty! I'll let them try it this weekend.
I think the thing I love most about mug cakes is that they are individual serving. You can make the decision to have a little splurge without the temptation of a whole cake.
Yum, this sounds great and so easy! Perfect for a small dessert.
Dominique Walton Brooks
Aren't these delicious? A perfect way to get a little bit of chocolate without overindulging! I have a chocolate mug cake recipe on my blog too!
A quick and delicious dessert to make for my siblings today. It looks delicious and I am so excited to make this for them.