With spring and summer right around the corner, it's time to put this Shortcake Recipe on your radar. It's the perfect way to enjoy fresh strawberries paired with easy homemade drop biscuits.
Making this shortcake recipe will take you back in time. I love the texture of these biscuits and the fact that they're not overly sweet. Once you top with the strawberries and whipped cream, the combination is literally the perfect balance of sweet and buttery. I also think you'll love my Strawberry Scones as well as my Strawberry Oatmeal Bars Recipe! Give them a try. 😉
TASTE AND TEXTURE:
- Buttery and flavorful biscuits
- Filled with fresh flavors of strawberries
- Topped with smooth and fluffy whipped cream
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS:
- Strawberries - Fresh strawberries in season are best.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar - Adding both sugars add a great flavor with the natural sweetness.
- Lemon zest - Just a little bit of zest goes a long way.
- Flour - We are using all purpose flour here for a perfect biscuit texture.
- Baking powder - Gives the biscuits a little bit of rise.
- Unsalted butter - If you only have salted butter, just omit the extra salt ingredient.
- Heavy cream - Gives a lot of softness to the biscuits and is also perfect as a topping.
HOW TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE SHORTCAKE RECIPE
Make the strawberry mixture. Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
Line the pan. Add parchment paper to your pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients. Mix in the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and stir.
Crumble butter cubes into flour. Add cold butter cubes to flour mixture and cut it into flour with a fork until pea sized crumbs are formed.
Form biscuits. Once mixed, pour in the heavy cream and form the biscuit dough. Divide into 8 biscuits. Add them to the baking sheet 1-inch apart.
Bake the biscuits. Brush with milk. Put pan in oven and bake the biscuits.
Make the whipped cream. Use your mixer to whisk the heavy cream and sugar. Once peaks start to form, stop mixing. Make sure the cream is cold when you start beating it.
QUICK TIP: To make sure the cram doesn't curdle and forms nice stiff peaks, I like to keep my mixing bowl and balloon whisk in the freezer for a few minutes. Then I add my cold cream to the bowl and start whisking!
Assemble your shortcakes. Let the biscuits cool down, and then break them in half. Add strawberry mixture on, followed by the whipped cream topping.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CAKE AND A SHORTCAKE?
It's all about texture! Shortcake has a texture that is a bit more crumbly and buttery like a biscuit while cakes are moist and often fluffier.
WHY IS IT CALLED A SHORTCAKE?
Shortcake is the perfect name for this recipe because it's literally a "short cake." Unlike the fluffy versions that you'd buy at the store, this recipe is how original shortcakes were meant to be created.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BISCUITS AND SHORTCAKE?
In this recipe, the two are actually VERY similar. The main difference is that these shortcakes are a tad bit sweeter than biscuits, but they really do have a very similar texture and consistency.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER SHORTCAKES
Storing leftovers is easy! Just add the shortcakes to an airtight container and store them in that. You don't have to keep them in the fridge so on counter top at room temperature is fine.
CAN YOU FREEZE SHORTCAKES?
You can! Once you bake them, just add them to a freezer-safe bag and save them for later. They're good for a couple of months and are easy to thaw out when you're ready to use them.
QUICK TIPS FOR MAKING A PERFECT SHORTCAKE BISCUIT
- Don't overmix the dough. If you mix dough too much, it's going to be super stiff and hard. All the butter cubes will melt in the dough and you will not get airy pockets as the biscuits bake!
- Fresh strawberries are best but you can use frozen strawberries in a pinch. Just be sure to get rid of as much of the liquid as possible so you don't make a soggy mess.
MORE STRAWBERRY DESSERT RECIPES
If you liked this shortcake recipe, give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog And lets be friends on Pinterest and Facebook too! 🙂
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 Hand mixer
- 1 Baking Tray
- 2 Large Mixing bowls
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries (rinsed, dried and cut into quarters)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- juice of 1 lemon (medium sized, about 2-3 tbsp)
For the shorcakes:
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1¼ cups cold heavy cream
For the homemade whipped cream:
- 1½ cups cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Make the strawberry mixture. In a large mixing bowl. combine the strawberries, both sugars, and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Line the pan. Add parchment paper to your pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix in the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and stir. Once mixed, pour in the heavy cream.
- Crumble butter cubes into flour. Add cold butter cubes to flour mixture and cut it into flour with a fork until pea sized crumbs are formed.
- Form biscuits. Once mixed, pour in cold heavy cream and form the biscuit dough. Flatten your dough on a floured surface into a rectangle and fold it twice (once from the right edge and then place left edge on top of it. Check process shots in the post for visual) Now divide into 8 biscuits. Place them to the baking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Bake the biscuits. Brush biscuits with little milk, place pan in the oven and bake the biscuits. Tops should be golden brown once done. They'll need to bake for 15-20 minutes of time.
- Make the whipped cream topping. Use your mixer to whisk the heavy cream and sugar. Once peaks start to form, stop mixing.
- Assemble the shortcakes. Let the biscuits cool down and then break them in half. Add strawberry mixture on followed by the whipped cream topping. Top with another half of the biscuit. Add one more layer of strawberries and cream on top. Place a fresh strawberry on top for decoration, if desired!