Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe perfect as Birthday Cupcakes swirled with creamy Vanilla Frosting and jam packed with colorful sprinkles!
Try my Easy One Layer Vanilla Cake Next! You will love the piped decorations here. Find all my Cupcakes Recipes right this way.
Taste and Texture:
- Super moist, light and fluffy
- Oh-so-buttery and tender crumb
- Filled with sprinkles and piled high with vanilla frosting
Funfetti Cupcakes Ingredients:
- Butter: Remember to take butter out of refrigerator at least half an hour before you want to make cake batter.
- Sour Cream: Full fat one will work the best. Sub it with full fat yogurt if sour cream isn't available at your end.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder will leaven your cupcakes. Make sure to use fresh one for that perfect lift.
- Eggs: Room temperature eggs please! To bring eggs at room temperature quickly, put them in hot water for a few minutes. Pan dry with a clean towel and break into your bowl.
How to make funfetti cupcakes:
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add and mix in vanilla.
- Add half of sour cream and beat lightly to combine.
- Now alternate sour cream and dry ingredients till the dry ingredients are utilized completely. Take care not to overmix.
- Fold in sprinkles. Pour batter in cupcake liners lined pan and bake till done.
Can you just add sprinkles to cake batter?
Sure you can. Just make sure to select the right kind. Add jimmies (slightly oblong-shaped sprinks) to the cake batter and not non-pareil ones.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- In a stand mixer fixed with whipping attachment, beat butter for a minute on medium high speed.
- Now add and beat in sugar, vanilla and ¼ cup of whipping cream and beat on low for about a minute. Then increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you find your vanilla buttercream to be too thick, add a little more whipping cream.
- Frost and pipe as desired on cool cake. Decorate with sprinkles.
Pro tip: Always use heavy whipping cream for that creamy rich buttercream consistency.
Will sprinkles bleed into buttercream?
Yes, some kind of sprinkles can bleed into the batter. Use jimmies and not non-pareils (those tiny little balls that we all love). As non pareils have a tendency to bleed out!
Tips to make the best Funfetti Cake:
- Keep every ingredient at room temperature before preparing the batter. Specially, eggs, butter and sour cream. To quickly bring your sour cream to room temperature, you can microwave it for a few seconds. Make sure you don't heat it too much though.
- Always reach out for Full fat sour cream to make your cupcakes. It produces the best taste and texture. If you don't have sour cream on hand, you may replace it with full fat yogurt.
- Do not overmix your batter and measure all the ingredients using a weighing scale for light and soft cupcakes.
- Add pure vanilla extract/vanilla beans to your batter, not that imitation kind. That's where all the good flavor lies.
More Birthday Desserts you need to try:
If you liked this recipe, give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
- Hand/stand Mixer
- Cupcake Pan
- ½ Cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Butter Extract
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream (Full fat, at room temperature)
- 1 ⅓ Cup All purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Rainbow sprinkles (use jimmies, not non-pareils)
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 4-5 Cups Confectioners' sugar
- ¼ Cup Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of Salt
- ¼ Cup Sprinkles of choice for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and cream it for a minute using a hand/stand mixer. Add and beat in granulated sugar for about 3-4 minutes. Mixture will look very light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and beat in just until combined. Mix in vanilla, butter extract and half of the sour cream.
- Now alternately add sifted dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder) with sour cream and beat in just until everything is incorporated well. Fold in sprinkles and divide the batter among prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake them for about 20-25 minutes or just until they pass toothpick test and are springy to touch in the center.
- Allow the cupcakes to cook down completely, before frosting them. Cool them down in fridge/freezer when in a rush!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, salt and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Now Increase to high speed and beat for good 2-3 minutes. Or until the frosting gets thick and creamy.
Grasyah [Of Coffee and Crackers]
you took great photos of the cup cakes! and they sure do look yummy!! 🙂 thanks for sharing the recipe!
Ivan M. Jose
Those cupcakes look so colorful and attractive. Kids would love to see those at parties.
Yummy! These cupcakes look fabulous! Pinning for later!
I want to try this Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes. Everything looks so yummy! So tasty!
Cupcakes are such a fun treat. I love that kids' parties concentrate more on cupcakes and less on the full-size cake.
My kids love sprinkles. So I guess it is time for these cupcakes! Thank you for the recipe.
These look absolutely amazing! I love the sprinkles too. I am saving this recipe for future use!
Love the colorful treat and it would be a great dish for parties.. or just a home weekend! Thanks for the recipe! - Knycx Journeying
Funfettin Cupcakes are my son's favorite. He loves that type of cake better than any other...
wow, love this cupcake recipe.Thanks for sharing recipe with us.
Oh, I love cupcakes! I haven't made such until now, but your recipe sounds so tasty. And these photos...are making me so hungry! Thanks for sharing! 🙂