Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe perfect as Birthday Cupcakes swirled with creamy Vanilla Frosting and jam packed with Rainbow sprinkles!
Taste and Texture:
- Super moist, light and fluffy cupcakes
- Oh-so-buttery and tender crumb
- Filled with sprinkles and piled high with vanilla frosting
- Slight Crunch from the sprinkles topped on the frosting
You will only need few simple ingredients to create these cupcakes. Always remember to take butter, sour cream and eggs out of refrigerator at least half an hour before you want to make these.
I can't stress this step enough. This is probably the most crucial step to any baking recipe success.
Room temperature ingredients combine better to create a uniform batter. Which as a result produces wonderful bakes, every single time!
- Butter: I always prefer to use unsalted butter in my recipes. If you choose to add salted butter, skip salt from the ingredients.
- Sour Cream: Full fat cream will work the best. Substitute it with full fat yogurt if sour cream isn't available at your end.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder will leaven your cupcakes. Make sure to use fresh one for that perfect lift.
- Eggs: Room temperature eggs please! To bring eggs at room temperature quickly, put them in hot water for a few minutes. Pan dry with a clean towel and break into your bowl.
- Butter Extract: I know we are adding butter to the batter already. Then why butter extract you'd ask? Because, butter extract lends that extra rich and yum flavor.
It's of course optional, but try nor to skip it!
- Milk: I forgot to mention milk in my ingredients shot, oops! But we are adding ¾ cup of milk to make a perfect batter.
How to make funfetti cupcakes:
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add and mix in vanilla.
- Add sour cream and beat lightly to combine.
- Now alternate milk and dry ingredients till the dry ingredients are utilized completely. Take care not to overmix.
- Fold in sprinkles. Pour batter in cupcake liners lined pan and bake till done.
What kind of sprinkles should you add to cupcake batter?
As much as we all love almost all rainbow sprinkles, they don't behave just the same when mixed into batters and frosting.
Always make sure to select the right kind of sprinkles to avoid them from bleeding in the batter.
You can use jimmies (slightly oblong-shaped sprinks) to the cake batter. Confetti sprinkles, also know as sequin/quin sprinkles can also be used in the batter.
Do not opt for non-pareil sprinkles. Since they will bleed out in the batter. You can use them for decorating though, since they are undoubtedly the cutest!
How to make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- In a stand mixer fixed with whipping attachment, beat butter for a minute on medium high speed.
- Now add and beat in sugar, vanilla and ¼ cup of whipping cream and beat on low for about a minute. Then increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you find your vanilla buttercream to be too thick, add a little more whipping cream.
- Frost and pipe as desired on cool cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles.
Pro tip: Always use heavy whipping cream for that creamy rich buttercream consistency.
Will sprinkles bleed into buttercream?
Yes, some kind of sprinkles can bleed into buttercream. Use jimmies and not non-pareils (those tiny little balls that we all love). As non pareils have a tendency to bleed out!
Tips for recipe success:
- Keep every ingredient at room temperature before preparing the batter. Specially, eggs, butter and sour cream. To quickly bring your sour cream to room temperature, you can microwave it for a few seconds. Make sure you don't heat it too much though.
- Always reach out for full fat sour cream to make your cupcakes. It produces the best taste and texture. If you don't have sour cream on hand, you may replace it with full fat yogurt.
- Do not overmix your batter and measure all the ingredients using a weighing scale for light and soft cupcakes.
- Add pure vanilla extract/vanilla beans to your batter. Imitation kind just cannot cut it.
More Birthday Desserts you need to try:
What flavors go well with funfetti?
I'd say Chocolate, Cream Cheese, strawberry, coconut and even lemon goes well with Funfetti. You may try these flavors as frostings to decorate your cupcakes.
If you liked this recipe, give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
- Hand/stand Mixer
- Cupcake Pan
- Cupcake Liners
- ¼ Cup (½ stick) Unsalted Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream (Full fat, at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Butter Extract (see Notes)
- ¾ Cup Milk (at room temperature)
- 2 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Rainbow sprinkles (use jimmies, not non-pareils)
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 4-5 Cups Confectioners' sugar
- ¼ Cup Heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of Salt
- ¼ Cup Sprinkles of choice for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and cream it for a minute using a hand/stand mixer. Add and beat in granulated sugar for about 3-4 minutes. Mixture will look very light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and beat in just until combined. Mix in vanilla, butter extract and sour cream.
- Now alternately add sifted dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder) with milk and beat in just until everything is incorporated well. Fold in sprinkles and divide the batter among prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake them for about 20-25 minutes or just until they pass toothpick test and are springy to touch in the center.
- Allow the cupcakes to cook down completely before frosting them. Cool them down in fridge/freezer when in a rush!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, salt and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Now Increase to high speed and beat for 1-2 minutes. Or until the frosting gets thick and creamy.