Made with whole wheat flour, sweetened with honey, low in fat and over the top on flavors. These healthy raspberry muffins will steal your heart!
Anyway, I am sure you agree dark chocolate and raspberries add so much personality and depth of flavor to an otherwise boring banana muffin.
Regardless of the add ins you prefer, you’ve got yourself a flavor-packed, wholesome, low fat and zero processed sugar muffin. A healthy banana muffin recipe base to be precise.
See those little banana strings on the inside? They are solely responsible to impart so much flavor, moisture and softness to our chocolate raspberry muffins.
You will need extra ripe bananas for this recipe.
Healthy raspberry muffins: INGREDIENTS
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Oil of choice
- A few Almonds (chopped)
- Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- And ample of Chocolate chunks (I used dark)
I can’t assure you enough that these are literally the best banana muffins you will ever make!
Inspite of being skinny they haven’t forgotten to stay moist, soft flavor rich and tender.
All thanks to the addition of banana puree, greek yogurt and honey. This trio eliminates the need of adding a ton of fat to our breakfasts!
Healthy raspberry muffins: Substitutions
- Whole wheat pastry flour: You may use a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour instead.
- Raspberries: Both fresh and frozen work in these muffins. Don’t need to thaw the frozen ones.
- Almond extract: Optional, but adds a ton of flavor. You sure know what miracles raspberries and almonds create together. 😉
- Yogurt: Try to use a thick yogurt if substituting the greek one. We already have a ton of moisture from Banana and honey in the batter.
- Honey and Brown sugar: Use half honey and half brown sugar. Even 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 Tbsp honey does the job. Heck all honey and no sugar works too!
- Chocolate: I love dark one (with 85% cocoa) for its benefits. You can replace it with semi sweet or chocolate chips if you desire.
Try my healthy Cherry Chocolate Muffins with Chocolate chips next!
- 1 1/4 Cups Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Oil of choice (I use avocado oil)
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp Light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Mashed banana (1 large banana)
- 1/2 Egg (large)
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Buttermilk or any other milk works too
- 3/4 Cup Raspberries (fresh/frozen)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate chunks
- 1/3 Cup Almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and grease/spray a muffin tin with oil. If you are using liners, spray with oil to avoid the muffins sticking to them!2. Sift flour, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.3. In another bowl, mix honey, brown sugar, greek yogurt, banana and extracts together. Now add room temperature egg and beat well to combine.4. Next add wet ingredients into dry and mix. Gradually add buttermilk/milk and continue to fold till the flour disappears. Do not overmix the batter.5. Fold in raspberries, almonds and chocolate, saving a few of each to top.6. Pour batter in the greased tin, top with the remaining toppings and bake for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.7. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool further. Enjoy!
- Muffins stay fresh and moist covered tightly in an air tight container at room temperature for 3 days and 4-5 days in refrigerator.
- They are freezer friendly. Thaw them at room temperature, or in the refrigerator a night before you want to enjoy them. Or simple microwave for 20-25 sec and devour!