Crumbly and melt in your mouth Strawberry Scones Recipe made with fresh strawberries. Top them off with a creamy vanilla glaze and this is a perfect Summer Dessert, if you will! Also these are ready in just 30 minutes from start to finish.
Try my Funfetti Scones next! Find summer Desserts on the blog here.
- Crumbly with a slight crunch from coarse sugar
- Light and soft interiors
- Dotted with fresh strawberries
- Topped with sweet vanilla glaze
- Flour: We are using all purpose flour to make scones.
- Heavy Cream: A touch of heavy cream makes scones super tender, don't skip it!
- Strawberries: I like to cut my strawberries into half inch
- Butter: You will need one stick of butter, cut into very small cubes.
- Leaveners: Both baking powder and baking soda are needed for a perfect lift.
How do you make strawberry scones from scratch?
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, salt, leaveners and sugar.
- Cut butter into small cubes and work it into the dough till pea size crumbs are formed.
- Mix together egg, milk and cream in a cup and pour on the flour mixture.
- Form dough without kneading it too much, fold in strawberry chunks.
- Make two 4 inches dough circles or one 8 inches and cut into 8 triangles.
- Place scones on a lined baking tray and bake for about 18 minutes at 400 deg F.
- Allow to cool before glazing.
Why are my scones not light and fluffy?
Probably you have over worked the dough. Always remember that you are not required to knead the dough at all. Just bring it together gently and your scones will thank you!
What is the secret to making good scones?
Cold cubes of butter. Cold fat helps the scones to develop little pockets of air and helps them rise super tall.
Take care not to over knead the dough. Just bring it together till you find the dough is manageable and you are ready to slice it.
In case it is hot inside your house or you find your dough is warm to touch. Chill scones quickly in the freezer while you pre heat the oven.
How to store scones:
Leftover scones can be stored in an air tight container with ease. Just line the bottom of your container with a paper towel and store scones after cooling them completely.
How Is it best to freeze scones cooked or uncooked?
If you can manage to bake scones right before you are ready to serve them, freeze them unbaked. Cut into wedges and bake as required. Unbaked scones freeze well for up to 3 months.
You don't need to thaw them before baking, just add a minute to your baking time.
More Strawberry Desserts you will love:
If you liked this recipe give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog
Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Strawberry Scones Recipe
- 2 ¾ Cups All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tsps Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅓ Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Stick Butter (Unsalted, very cold and cut into tiny cubes)
- 1 large Egg
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream (+ 1 tbsp more for brushing on scones before baking)
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries (Cut into ¼ inch chunks)
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream/whole milk
- ¾ Cup Confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F Line a baking sheet with silicon mat/parchment paper and set it aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Now work cold butter cubes into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse mixture. You should still see some pea sized crumbs of butter. Don't over work butter in this mix.
- Whisk together egg, milk, and cream in a cup and add to flour-butter mixture and use a fork to stir everything together until just moistened. Gently fold strawberries into the dough with the help of a spatula.
- Take the dough out on a floured work surface and shape it into one 8-inch circle or two 4-inch circles. Cut 8 wedges out of this dough and place them on pre-lined sheet, 2 inch apart.
- Lightly brush each scone with heavy cream, then sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for 18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Allow scones to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet while you make the glaze.
For Vanilla Glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Drizzle over semi-warm scones.
I love Strawberry Scones Recipe! It's so nice and so easy to do. I hope I can make it again this weekend.
I tried your recipe and it came out so soft and light. Tasted awesome 😋😋
This is so pretty! I don’t need Valentine’s Day to indulge in this!
I love scones with my tea! These strawberry scones look delicious and easy to make! Saving this recipe!
Take care not to over knead the dough. Just bring it together till you find the dough is manageable and you are ready to slice it." I was so worried about how much I knead the dough but you had me sorted, in advance. Thanks.
Oh my gosh this looks SO good! I love strawberries, must make this!
Looks delicious! I would definitely try making this!
I will be making these TODAY! A great scone is a thing of beauty, and anything with strawberries in it is always great.
These scones look amazing! I will have to make them soon!
OMG, I'm dying over here! I need these in my life immediately! They look absolutely fantastic!
Those sound so good! I love scones, and I'm always a sucker for strawberries.
The first time I had a scone it was in Scotland. I've never tried to make them myself. Perhaps, I should!
My kid's GodMom loves scones. Perhaps my daughter and I will make them for her.