Yes, you read that correctly, this one is easy-peasy. Believe me. You don't even need to break out a mixer to make this batter! Or if you want to use mixer, you can whip this batter up in just 2-3 minutes This easy chocolate cake recipe is also super decadent, moist yet light at the same time.
This cake is perfect as a Chocolate Birthday Cake! Looking for more Chocolate Dessert Recipes? I've got quite a few for you. Check out these recipes: Single layer Chocolate Cake, Small Chocolate Cake or these Chocolate Cake Pops.
TASTE AND TEXTURE:
- Soft, moist cake with the perfect chocolaty crumb
- Rich and creamy chocolate frosting to sink your teeth into
- Deep, decadent mouth-watering chocolate flavor
CAKE RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- Flour: Use pantry-staple all purpose flour for the ultimate in texture and crumb.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar, another pantry staple, gives this chocolate cake the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Cocoa powder: We are using special dark cocoa powder for a rich chocolaty taste.
- Eggs: Use large eggs for this recipe for a soft, spongy feel. All types of eggs are good; brown, white, free-range or organic. Just make sure to use room temperature eggs.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk gives chocolate cake an ultimate soft and springy texture as it reacts with baking soda.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE?
- Prepare the cake pan. Butter and flour cake pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Sift and combine all the dry ingredients in a stand mixer.
- Add the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes. Bake the cakes in the oven till done.
- Let cool. Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost the cakes. Frost and layer the cakes and then indulge!
This buttercream is made using cocoa, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. You can use both natural or dutch process cocoa powder here since no leavening is been used.
I opted for natural one here.
Tips to make perfect cake everytime:
- Use room temperature eggs, because it allows for better blending.
- Use vegetable, canola or avocado oil for this cake. Any flavorless oil would do here.
- Do not overmix the batter and take care not to over bake the cakes as it might dry them out.
- Add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee to hot water and mix in the batter. Coffee only enhances the chocolate flavor and I promise yo wont taste coffee in your cake.
- Allow the cakes to cool down completely before frosting. QUICK TIP: You can freeze the cake for about 20-30 minutes to speed up this process.
What makes a cake moist and fluffy?
Buttermilk and baking soda together makes a cake supremely fluffy and moist at the same time! Make sure to use freshness of the leaveners before putting them in the batter.
CAN I MAKE THIS CAKE WITHOUT DAIRY?
Use almond or soy milk with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar instead of the buttermilk. Let stand 5 minutes to curdle. Use a dairy-free prepared frosting or substitute non-dairy alternatives for the butter, cream cheese and milk.
CAN I MAKE THIS CAKE GLUTEN-FREE?
Yes you can. Use the same amount of “Cup for Cup” gluten free flour blend or Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Baking Flour.
CAN I MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITHOUT EGGS?
You can substitute one of the following though the texture will be a little different:
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt for each egg
- ¼ cup of buttermilk for every egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar+ 1 teaspoon baking powder whisked together per egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce per egg
HOW SHOULD THIS CAKE BE STORED?
The cake will stay fresh on counter for a few days however, if you want to store them for later, it is best to cover cakes in plastic wrap and freeze them in freezer safe bags.
CAN I MAKE THE CAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, these cakes freeze well. Cool completely and freeze without frosting. When you are ready to serve them, remove from the freezer, defrost completely and then add the frosting.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE IN A DIFFERENT PAN?
Yes, you can use a rectangular pan or a Bundt pan. You will need to monitor the bake time closely.
If you are a chocolate fiend like me you will agree this is the best chocolate cake recipe and it is perfect for any occasion, especially for those chocolate birthday cake requests. Kids and adults alike will love it. It's the ultimate indulgence.
Who can resist layers of chocolate cake with the richest, chocolatiest, creamiest frosting in between? My mouth waters just thinking about it.
You can easily customize this chocolate cake to your liking; use coffee instead of water, or add chocolate or butterscotch chips to the batter prior to baking. Once frosted you can also top with fresh fruit like raspberries or strawberries. Or better yet for even more indulgence top with your favorite flavor ice cream or gelato.
More Easy and Simple Dessert Recipes:
If you liked this chocolate cake recipe, please give it a star review. I would really appreciate it. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did it turn out for you! How did your family or guests like it? How did you personalize it? And don’t forget to share your wonderful creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog And let's be friends on Pinterest and Facebook too!
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Stand/hand held mixer
- 3 9 inch Baking pans
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups cocoa powder (I used special dark, unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs large, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups warm water (mixed with 2 tsp instant coffee, optional, but highly recomended)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 ⅓ cup cocoa powder unsweetened, natural
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until the batter is well combined and smooth. Take care not to over beat it.
- Divide the batter amongst three pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- Layer and frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
For Chocolate Frosting
- Melt butter. Stir in sifted cocoa powder. Alternatingly add powdered sugar and milk and beat to a smooth, spreading consistency.
- Add a small amount of milk, if needed to reach desired consistency. Stir in vanilla.