If you are searching for a simple Chocolate Cake Recipe, look no further! Made in one bowl, this soft, rich and super moist Chocolate Cake topped with Silky Chocolate Ganache ends your search.
Texture and Taste:
- Moist and decadent cake
- fluffy yet rich crumb
- Smooth and silky ganache
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- Buttermilk: Store bought or homemade both work equally well in this cake. Check out my notes on how easy it is to make homemade buttermilk.
- Hot Brewed Coffee: Adding coffee wont make your cake taste like it. In fact it will enhance the chocolate flavor of your cake. Don’t skip it.
- Oil: We are using oil as opposed to butter to create a moist cake.
- Vanilla: Even though it is a chocolate cake, adding vanilla is imperative to make a flavor balanced cake. I suggest using pure vanilla extract for best flavor.
How to make Chocolate Cake:
This one is a super easy chocolate cake recipe that you can make in one bowl. You don’t even need a mixer. Just a whisk is enough. To make things easy, you can make use of a hand mixer though.
Lets see how we are putting it together:
- Mix all your wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl, leaving coffee.
- Sift all dry ingredients over wet.
- Fold them lightly and add hot coffee to this mixture.
- Fold and form chocolate cake batter. Pour in a lined pan and bake!
So many people fret making their own chocolate ganache, but believe me it is super simple when you measure things well and follow the recipe instructions.
To make smooth chocolate ganache, you will require:
- Good quality Chocolate: You may use dark, semi sweet or even milk chocolate to make ganache. Chop your chocolate into pieces to make mixing easier!
- Heavy Cream: While heating the cream make sure it doesn’t come to a boil. This step can be easily achieved by heating cream in microwave using small increments.
- Vanilla: A dash of vanilla extract in the ganache makes it taste so so so good. Try it!
How to make thick Chocolate Ganache:
To make ganache for the topping of this cake, we are making it thick. And to make thick ganache we will use chocolate : heavy cream in the ratio of 2:1
Which means for every two parts of chocolate you will need one part cream.
Chocolate Ganache FAQS:
How do you thicken chocolate ganache?
Thickness and thinness of a ganache depends on the ratios of cream and chocolate used in the recipe. If you want a thick ganache add more chocolate than cream.
Does chocolate ganache cake need to be refrigerated?
Chocolate ganache stays good at room temperature for about 2 days. For longer storage store it in refrigerator, it will last you for 7 days!
How long does it take for ganache to harden?
Setting the ganache hard may need 2-3 hours. But you do not have to wait that long to top your cake. Cool the ganache down and top on cooled cake. It will set on cake in a few hours.
More Chocolate Desserts:
If you liked this cake give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Simple Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 8 inches Square Pan
- 1 large Egg (at room temp)
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk (at room temp)
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup Hot Brewed Coffee
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 16 ounces Dark or semi sweet Chocolate
- 8 Ounces Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and line an 8 inches square pan with a parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix all the liquid ingredients together (egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla) except coffee. Next add in sugar and beat it in too. You may use a hand beater or a hand whisk for this step.
- Now sift in all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda) over wet and mix lightly. Now pour in hot brewed coffee and combine just till the batter is formed.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool down for 5-10 mins in the pan and then loosen the edges of pan with a knife for easy removal..
For Chocolate Ganache (that sets):
- Heat cream in a microwave safe bowl. Cream can also be heated on stove in a sauce pan. You don't have to let it come to a boil. Add chocolate over cream and allow it to sit for 1-2 minutes. Whisk cream and chocolate together to form ganache.
- Cover and allow to set for a few minutes before topping on cake. The ganache will thicken and set during this time.