Baked in under 30 minutes, this rich and tender sour Cream Coffee Cake is topped with thick crunchy cinnamon streusel and sweet Vanilla Glaze!
Taste and Texture:
- Crunchy and cinnamon-y streusel topping, sitting on
- Soft, buttery and tender Vanilla Cake
- Drizzled with sweet vanilla glaze
Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- Flour: All purpose flour forms the base of this recipe.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar works well in this cake.
- Eggs: You will need two eggs, make sure they are at room temp.
- Leaveners: Both baking powder and baking soda are required for a perfect lift.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream makes this coffee cake perfectly moist and tender. It can be replaced with full fat yogurt, but then the cake's texture wont be as light.
How to make Coffee Cake:
There are three parts to today's classic coffee cake recipe. All of them are super easy to follow!
- Make the streusel topping
- Prepare cake batter, top it with streusel
- Bake, cool and top it off
So we will start by mixing streusel ingredients- butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon till it all mixes well and forms big crumbs. If you wish you can make them pea sized. I like mine a little bigger!
Then for the cake batter-
- Mix room temp butter, vanilla and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add and beat one egg at a time. Next goes in half of the sour cream and ⅓ of flour.
- Alternate with flour and sour cream (and beat just until its combined) until all the flour and cream is used up.
- Pour in a line pan, top with streusel and bake.
It can't get any easier! Just mix a cup of confectioners' sugar with a little pure vanilla extract and add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream/half and half or even milk.
Stir everything till well combined and drizzle on cooled cake.
What does sour cream do to cake?
Sour cream, other than adding tenderness to the cake crumb, moistens it. It also reacts with baking soda in the batter and leavens it.
You can add it in cakes to make them softer, it works best in coffee cakes, pound cakes and even cupcakes!
Can I substitute plain yogurt for sour cream in a coffee cake recipe?
Plain yogurt can be substituted for sour cream in most cake recipes. Make sure to use full fat yogurt. And know that yogurt will alter the texture of final baked product. It won't be as moist and tender.
More Breakfast Desserts:
If you liked this recipe give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Hand/stand Mixer
- ½ Cup Butter (unsalted, at room temperature)
- ¾ Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Sour Cream (full fat, at room temperature)
- 1 ⅓ (166 gms) Cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ¼ Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 8 (1 stick) Tbsps Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1 ¼ Cup All purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsps Heavy Cream/half and half/milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a round or square 9 inch pan. Or alternatively line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
For Streusel Topping:
- Mix butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together working butter in the mixture till it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
To make Vanilla Cake:
- Sift and mix all dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter on high speed until creamy, for about a minute. Next add sugar and beat on high speed (for about 2 minutes) until it looks light and creamy. Now add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract next. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add sour cream and flour mix alternating them, in 2-3 additions till all flour and sour cream is used up. Beat well after each addition till flour and cream disappears into the batter.
- Pour batter in the prepared baking pan, top with streusel topping and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to test for doneness. Allow to cool down completely, before glazing.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, heavy cream and vanilla together in a small bowl till well combined and drizzle over the cooled cake.
- You can store this cake at room temp. for up to 3 days.
- Any leftovers can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or on counter top before enjoying.
- Different Cake Pans: You can easily double this recipe to bake in a 9x13 inch pan. Or this can also be baked as a loaf cake in 9 x 5 inch loaf tin. Baking time will be around 40-45 minutes.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream can be replaced with full fat Greek yogurt. I don't suggest subbing it with low fat yogurt.