Soft, fluffy and tender Chocolate Chip Pound Cake dotted with loads of chocolate chips and made using minimal ingredients.
Butter: Butter is a crucial ingredient to make this cake. Use room temperature butter, but it should not be greasy when you begin beating it.
Sugar: We will use granulated sugar here. Beat it well with butter till it turns light and pale for a fluffy bake.
Eggs: Four eggs are needed to make this cake. Add egg one at a time and beat the batter well after each addition.
Flour: Cake flour works best for this cake. However All purpose flour or homemade cake flour can also be substituted.
Baking Powder: Baking powder will additionally help to lift the cake as it bakes along with beating the batter.
Vanilla Extract: Use good quality vanilla here in the amount mentioned. This will cut back the smell of eggs used in the batter.
Chocolate Chips: I used semi sweet chocolate chips here. But milk choc chips will work in a pinch!
How do you make a pound cake from scratch?
We will begin by beating butter and sugar. A hand mixer or stand mixer is best to make pound cakes. Since we will incorporate air into the batter by beating it for good 5-6 minutes in total. Lets see how to make it:
- Beat room temp butter and sugar for good 3 minutes.
- Vanilla goes in next. Add egg one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Now alternate flour mix and milk and beat just until combined.
- Pour in a lined standard loaf tin and bake at 350 deg F until done.
Tips to make perfect cake:
My number one tip would be to use room temperature ingredients and do not skimp on the beating time. Second would be to make sure you aren't over baking your cake, or else it may turn out dry.
How do you keep chocolate chips from sinking in a cake?
A thick batter such as this prevents choc chips from sinking down at the bottom. You can dust chocolate chips with a little flour before adding to the batter. This step makes sure that chips wont sink down!
Try drizzling your cake with this floral Elderflower Syrup, you will love it!!
More Chocolate Chip desserts for you:
Frequently Asked Questions
While cake flour works for a this cake you can easily substitute it with all purpose flour. Using cake flour will produce a softer cake that will stay soft for days.
This cake take about an hour in the oven. Around 50 minutes , it is best to check and keep checking every 2 minutes after that. When a tooth pick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean, it is done!
If you liked this recipe give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Hand Mixer/Stand Mixer
- n 8x4 inch Loaf Tin
- 12 tablespoon Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract (at room temperature)
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk (Room temperature)
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line a 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Now add in vanilla and eggs one at a time. Beat the batter well after each addition. Scrape sides as needed.
- Fold in sifted flour, baking powder and salt to the batter alternating with milk in 2-3 additions. Batter will be light and fluffy. Do not over mix at this stage.
- Now fold in the chocolate chips and pour batter in the pre-lined loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes. Allow the cake to cool down in the tin for about 10 minutes then run a plastic knife around the edges of the pan and take the cake out.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely on a wire rack before glazing/slicing. Drizzle with chocolate ganache as desired.
- Baked cake will keep at room temperature covered tightly at all times for 2 days. I'd suggest to cut into slices only when needed. That way the cake will stay softer.
- You can also freeze this cake for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on counter top before enjoying.