Made with 4 ingredients, these Cakesicles taste just like cake pops and look like Popsicles! If you have your cake and frosting ready before hand, these can be prepared in under 30 minutes and make for perfect Party and Birthday Treats!
Try my Cake Pops Recipe next! Find all my Birthday Desserts here.
Recipe: Taste and Texture
- Creamy and velvety cake
- Dipped in melted chocolate
- Topped with sweet, crunchy and pretty sprinkles
What are cakesicles made of:
These are the easiest treats ever! Made with four simple ingredients, the fourth ingredient is optional but so cute that I consider it the most important one!
- Cake: You can use a store bought cake mix or homemade cake if you prefer. Refer to my classic Vanilla Cake Recipe or this Easy Chocolate Cake if you like chocolate flavor better.
- Frosting: Just like cake, both homemade or store bought frostings can be used here. We will not need too much frosting, just enough to bind the cake mixture together! You may pick the flavor of your choice. I like them with this Cream Cheese Frosting too!
- Chocolate: Melted chocolate coating can be made with candy melts or chocolate bars. I would not suggest coating with chocolate chips, since they are not made to melt!
- Sprinkles: Top them with sprinkles as soon as you coat these in chocolate. That way sprinkles will stick to the chocolate.
How to make Cakesicles:
- Combine frosting with cake crumbs and mix till you can form balls out of it that don't crack.
- Form popsicles by sticking some cake batter on sticks and give them shape of popsicles. If you desire you can use molds here. I did not! Just slowly smoothen the mix on pops using your hands.
- Form all the popsicles and chill them in the freezer laying on a tray while you melt the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool down a bit before dipping.
- Keep your sprinkles ready and top them with sprinkles right after dipping in chocolate
- Allow the chocolate to set and store as desired.
How do you keep chocolate from cracking?
Do not chill cake mix on sticks for too long in the freezer. That is number one reason for the chocolate cracks. Even if you have kept them in the refrigerator for a few hours, allow them to warm up a bit before dipping.
Why do my Cakesicles crack?
There can be certain reasons for this one.
- There wasn't enough frosting in the mix
- Make sure the popsicles are firm enough and not too cold before dipping. Or the temperature difference of melted chocolate and cake mix will cause them to expand and crack when coated.
More Birthday Desserts:
If you liked this Recipe give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
- Popsicle Sticks
- Baking Tray
- Treat Bags (if packing/gifting)
- 1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix (prepared according to package instructions and cooled)
- ½ Cup Frosting (homemade or store bought)
- 3 Cups Chocolate (both Chocolate bars and candy melts are fine here)
- ¾ Cup Sprinkles (of choice)
- ½ Cup Mini Marshmallows (totally optional)
- Crumble cooled cake in a large mixing bowl and add vanilla frosting to it. Mix it all well using a fork or with your hands.
- Form 16 cake popsicles with this cake mixture using molds or form them by pressing and shaping them with your hands on popsicle sticks. Allow them to chill in the freezer (for 15 mins) or in the refrigerator until firm to touch.
- Melt chocolate using double boiler or in microwave (in small increments). Add a tsp of oil to thin it out if necessary!
- Then dip them in chocolate and immediately top with sprinkles one by one. Allow to set on Styrofoam until ready to serve.
- Repeat the step above until all the cake popsicles are formed. Enjoy!
- Store these in refrigerator at all times until ready to be served. They can stand room temperature for a few hours if it is not hot outside.
- To freeze them for later use I suggest freeze them uncoated. Thaw them completely for a few hours/overnight in refrigerator and them coat them in melted chocolate.
- Never dip super chilled cake popsicles into hot chocolate or else they can crack.
- Always allow cake pops to firm up in the fridge to help them stick to sticks and coat easily.
- If you notice the chocolate is getting too thick to work with, reheat it using ½ tsp of oil to thin it out.
These look like a yummy and fun snack for kids! They're not too big so it's a good portion size and they'll love how it looks.
My niece would love this! I can't wait to make my own cakesicles! Yummy indeed!
I always love your idea to make kids happy. You are brilliant making the cake looks interesting and yummy. I like this CAKESICLES. I would love to make this recipe for sure.
This sounds like it would be a really great recipe to try out myself! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
These are very pretty! They look like something you'd buy at the store. I need to try my hand at making these.
Oh man, now that's my kind of treat. I could use these in my kids' upcoming bday gathering.
Those came out so perfectly! I love the festive additions to the outer layer. I need to make some of these.
Oh my! These look so delicious. Definitely gonna try these with my daughter.
These cakesicles are so much fun! I can't wait to make them with my kids.
Wow! These are so beautiful I almost wouldn’t want to eat them! Almost 😉