Skip baking Pumpkin Pie and serve this Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting this Thanksgiving. Turns out moist and fluffy, every single time and doesn't even need a mixer!
Taste and Texture:
- Super moist and soft cake
- Topped with silky smooth cream cheese Frosting
- Packed with ample of pumpkin flavor
- Filled with cozy fall spices
- Pumpkin Puree: Libby's is the way to go! This is not a sponsored post, but I am just a fan girl. You will find me using Libby's pumpkin in almost every pumpkin bake that I have made till date, It just works the best!
- Sugar: Both granulated sugar and brown sugar will be required to make a perfectly moist cake.
- Oil: Any flavorless oil like vegetable, canola or avocado oil will do here.
- Leaveners: Baking powder and baking soda will work together to make the cake rise perfectly.
- Spices: I like to use ¼ teaspoon of cloves in addition to cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
For the Frosting:
To make this frosting you need 5 ingredients and I wouldn't recommend skipping any of them.
To make the best cream cheese frosting recipe, you will require-
- Cream Cheese
- Unsalted Butter
- Confectioners' Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
How do you make this cake from scratch?
- Add eggs, oil, both sugars and vanilla to a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Next goes in pumpkin puree.
- Sift all dry ingredients (flour, leaveners and spices) over wet.
- Fold them in and form the batter.
- Pour in pre-lined pans and bake!
How do you store a cake with cream cheese frosting?
Cream Cheese Frosting is perishable. And it's best to keep any cake topped with perishable frosting in the refrigerator if you are not using it in a couple of hours.
Do you refrigerate cake?
This Cake stays good at room temperature, covered tightly for 1-2 days. If the cake is frosted with cream cheese frosting, leftovers must be stored in the refrigerator covered at all times.
More Pumpkin Desserts for you:
Follow me on Instagram for more such drool-worthy dessert recipes! And tag #Greedyeatsblog if you make these cake balls. Seeing your creations, makes my day! Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook Page!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 9 inches round Cake Pans
- Parchment Paper
- 4 large Eggs (at room temp)
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 (15 oz) Can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Cloves
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (Softened to room temperature)
- ½ Cup Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 3 Cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Few Pumpkin Toppers (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line two 9 inches round baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand whisk or hand mixer, beat 4 eggs, oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla till combined. Add and beat in pumpkin puree too.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices) over wet and fold them in using a spatula.
- Pour prepared cake batter into pre lined cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Baking time may vary because of the kind of pumpkin puree used and the content of moisture in it. So keep an eye on your cake after 30 minutes and bake till it passes toothpick test.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes in the cake pan. Then run a knife around pan's edges, take the cake out and allow to cool further down on a wire rack.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand or stand mixer beat cream cheese and butter on high speed till they turn creamy. Now add 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt to it. Beat on low for about 20 seconds and then beat on high speed for about 2 minutes. If you prefer a thicker frosting you can additionally add an extra ¼ cup of sugar. I added it. This will make frosting thick and sturdy.
- Spread on cool cakes layering them. Cover the cake with remaining frosting and stick the cake into refrigerator for around 30-45 minutes before serving. This step will make cutting slices a breeze!