You will fall in love with this Thick and Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe that bakes supremely soft and fudgy in the centers, oh so chewy on the edges. These need only need 30 minutes of chill time!
If you love Chocolate Desserts, then I am sure you will adore these Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe! Try my Cream Cheese Chocolate Cookies next! Find all Cookie Recipes from Greedy Eats here.
Chocolate Chip cookies are my favorite kind of cookies, bet they are yours too! These melted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are the love of my life, no kidding! Close second are these thick Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe: Taste and Texture
- Super soft, thick and Fudgy in the centers
- Super decadent and oh-so-rich
- Chewy on the edges
- Loaded with a ton of melty chocolate chips
Double Chocolate Cookies Ingredients:
Butter: I like to use unsalted butter at room temp, that way you can easily control the amount of salt in your cookie dough.
Cream Cheese: Cream Cheese is the star of today's cookie recipe. It helps in making cookies unbelievably soft and and immensely flavorsome. Remember to use brick style cream cheese and not spread.
Sugars: We will use a combination of brown and granulated sugars to get perfect textured cookies that are both soft and chewy.
Espresso Powder: I add instant espresso powder to enhance the flavor profile of these cookies. It is optional, but highly recommended.
Cornstarch: Adding 2 tsp of cornstarch in the cookies will help them get a softer texture and your cookies will bake thick.
Cocoa: Unsweetened natural cocoa powder works best here. But you could also swap it for Dutch processed too.
How to make chocolate cookie dough:
- Cream Butter, Sugar and Cream Cheese: Beat butter and both the sugars together till the mixture gets light and fluffy.
- Next beat in softened cream cheese. Then beat one room temperature egg in.
- Next add and mix in vanilla and espresso.
- Fold in Dry Ingredients: Sift all the dry ingredients together over wet and fold to form cookie dough. Fold in chocolate chips at this stage.
- Chilling the Dough: Chill the dough for 30 minutes minimum and bake your cookies! If you are not in a hurry to bake cookies, allow the cookie dough to rest for 3-4 hours or up to 2 days in refrigerator.
Which Chocolate Chips to use:
You can make these soft double chocolate chip cookies with white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and even butterscotch chips or even M&Ms.
Why didn't my chocolate chip cookies flatten?
- Don't over measure your flour. I can't stress this tip enough! Either use a kitchen scale to measure it or fluff your flour and use scoop and sweep method.
- Make sure you have not over chilled your dough. Like if you have chilled the dough for 1 or 2 days, you might want to allow dough to come to room temp for a few minutes before baking.
For Better Cookie Spread try Pan Banging Method: We need to bake our chocolate cookies for 10-11 minutes. But around 8-9 mins mark, if you notice the cookies aren't spreading as much, remove them from oven. Then, lightly bang the baking sheet on the counter top or a flat surface 2-3 times. Now put them back in the oven and bake for a few more minutes.
This helps cookies to deflate as the air escape cookies and it aids in better and even spread. Also, your cookies won't turn out cakey with this approach, try it!
To avoid spoiling the whole batch of cookies, I sometimes test by baking just one cookie and make sure they will bake right!
How do I keep my Double Chocolate cookies from getting flat?
- Make sure to chill this cookie dough for at least 30 minutes. If you are not pressed on time, you can also chill it for a few hours before baking.
- Measure the flour correctly. Too less flour can cause these cookies to spread and bake flat.
How do you know when chocolate cookies are done?
Cookies when baked will appear puffy and pale and set on the edges. Don't be tempted to over bake them, they will set further while cooling on the tray.
How do you keep chocolate cookies soft?
My number one trick is to replace some of the butter with cream cheese in the cookie dough. I promise, you will experience the softest cookies on earth. Cookies that bake soft and stay soft for days!
What is the secret to moist cookies?
Cream Cheese: Addition of cream cheese will keep your cookies moist. However. you can also try adding an extra yolk to your cookie dough.
Egg Yolk: Adding an extra yolk will make your cookies moister and enhance the over all cookie flavor because of the extra fat in the yolk as compared to whites.
Brown Sugar: Adding more brown sugar than granulated helps cookie bake moist and oh so chewy!
Is it better to freeze cookie dough or baked cookies?
Well you can freeze them both. But I prefer to freeze cookie dough balls and bake them when ready to enjoy.
You see, cookies don't take that long to bake and nothing beats fresh and warm cookies straight out of oven!
More Chocolate Desserts:
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
If you liked this recipe, give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand beater/ Stand Mixer
- ½ Cup Butter (unsalted, softened to room temperature)
- 2 oz Cream Cheese (Brick style, softened to room temperature)
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar (Packed, both light or dark works)
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp Instant Espresso
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¾ Cups All Purpose Flour (measured correctly)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 12 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a hand beater beat butter and both sugars, till light and fluffy. This should take about 1-2 minutes
- Now add softened cream cheese and continue to beat till the mixture appears pale and fluffy. About 2 minutes. Next add in egg and beat again. Add vanilla and espresso powder and give it a quick whirl too.
- Now sift all the dry ingredients (Flour, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda and salt) over wet. And slowly mix them all in to form dough. Add in chocolate chips. Chill the dough in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 3-4 hours in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 deg F and line 2 baking sheets with silicon mat or parchment paper. Drop about 2 Tbsps mounds of cookie dough on sheets and place them around 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. When done, the cookies will appear just set on corners and puffy in the middle. Allow to cool for 4-5 minutes on baking tray and then transfer to wire rack to complete cooling.
- These Chocolate Cookies will stay fresh covered in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
- You can freeze baked or unbaked dough balls in the freezer for about 2 months. When ready to bake, allow dough balls to stand for an hour on the counter top and bake then.
- Always begin with room temperature butter, egg and cream cheese to bake perfect cookies.
- Take extra care not to over measure your flour. Or else the cookies will bake tough and over thick (in a bad way).
- You can skip coffee powder if you want. But adding it enhances the chocolate flavor. You won't taste coffee in the baked cookies at all!
- Chill chocolate cookie dough for at least 30 minutes prior to shaping and baking. If you are not in a hurry, try chilling the dough for a few hours, to ensure perfectly thick and flavorful cookies.
These cookies look amazing! Will be great with a glass of cold milk.
These cookies speak to my chocolate loving heart! I can't wait to give them a try.
Making these on Friday for my daughters bday. They look amazing!!
You mention weighing the flour in lieu of cup measurements. What weight of flour is needed?
Hi Amanda! Converting measurements from US Customary to metric in the recipe card, you will see the flour conversion in gms, which is 218.75 gms. Hope this helps!
Oh yum! These cookies look so good with all that chocolate. I love the addition of the instant espresso as well.
My all time favorite cookies. I wish I could grab one or two right now! Looks so delicious.
I make cookies often, but this is the first time I used cream cheese, and you are right! They were incredibly soft, not to mention delicious! Chocolate lover's dream! Great recipe 🙂
I didn’t have cream cheese the other day when I baked these so I just replaced it with half heavy cream and half milk and also I didn’t have espresso powder or instant coffee so I replaced with 5 tbsp strong brewed coffee and I didn’t have time to let the dough refrigerate for 30 minute so I just put it in the freezer for 5 minutes and oh boy they turned out fantastic they did last one day till we had finished them all,so this time I made sure to get the actual ingredients except the espresso powder which the store doesn’t have so got instant coffee instead, so I’m currently baking them again, thanks for the great recipe
This second time I added kisses chocolate instead of chocolate chips and they do taste fantastic again I do find baking them for 10 minutes is a little to long ,so I bake them 8 minutes
I just got Expresso powder from Amazon.
My son is an aspiring baker and tried these out. Melty and delicious, he says!
I don't usually post reviews but I had to.. i just took out my batch of theses cookies and they're absolutely delicious. I followed the recipe to a "T" (even though I felt like it was too much flour) but it was so gooey and delicious. This recipe definitely a keeper.
How did you get them so gooey? Would 2oz of cream cheese equal to 1/4cup?
Just don't over bake them and you will achieve this texture. 2 oz cream cheese is 1/4 cup.
OMG! THANK YOU! I have the best chocolate chip cookies recipe but this recipe is the bomb! Yes!
I prefer to weigh my ingredients, especially flour. How many grams or ounces would you consider 1 cup o all-purpose flour?
Hi Tina! You can convert the amount of ingredients from US to metric in the recipe table. 1 cup flour is 125 gms FYI.
How many cups would the cream cheese be?
Hi Sheri! 2 oz cream cheese is 1/4 cup. Happy baking! The measurements are also written on the pacakaging, just an FYI. 🙂
I made these cookies exactly as the recipe instructed and they were outstanding! This will be my go to chocolate cookie recipe!
Tried these & they didn’t disappoint! Only had whipped cream cheese in the house so i used that & they still came out great. Soooo soft & chocolatey, will def make again!
I tried these cookies yesterday and they did not spread out that much. I was careful in measuring my flour. I fluffed my flour then spooned in to my measuring cup then leveled off. What could have gone wrong?
Did you chill the dough for more than a few hours? If so, try bringing it back to room temp before rolling and baking. Also make sure to add measured cream cheese and butter for a better spread.
These are absolutely delicious! I’ve made them twice so far and they stay so soft and yummy. These are by far my favorite cookies to eat and bake!
I love these wonderful chocolate cookies! These cookies were so moist and chocolaty tasting. I will be saving your recipe to make again. Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!