Learn how to make Soft Peanut Butter Cookies that bake super puffy and thick! Also, these are a far cry from all those PB cookies that crumble!
Cookies made with peanut butter and choc chips tastes like what? Peanut flavored chocolate chip cookies, if the recipe has enough PB. Else, they taste like weird textured choc chip cookies. No??
How are these cookies any different?
These soft and thick peanut butter cookies taste just like PEANUT BUTTER in the centers. Wait, that's not it!
The edges are chewy. Dotted with melty chocolate and mini choc-chips, these thick Peanut Butter cookies stay soft for days.
what makes peanut butter cookies soft
You see, Peanut Butter acts like flour in the cookies. So it's pretty tough to get PB cookies bake soft (like melt in your mouth soft!) that are thick and puffy at the same time!
So how do you keep cookies soft then? Brown sugar. Dark brown sugar specifically! This humble moist sweetener adds a ton of softness to your PB cookies.
How to make PB Cookies
Step 1- Begin with creaming butter and both sugars (granulated and brown sugar)
Step 2- Add egg, vanilla and peanut butter next. Beat everything in.
Step 3- Now add dry ingredients. I like to sift my flour, leveaners and salt over wet directly.
Step 4- Fold in dry, chocolate chips. And chill the dough for minimum 2 hours.
Step 5- Form dough balls and bake at 350 deg F.
Queries and tips for perfect soft, thick and chewy cookies
How do you keep peanut butter cookies from going flat?
- Chill that dough!
- Don't over mix the cookies dough
- Don't flatten dough balls for this recipe
Why did my peanut butter cookies crumble?
- There was too much peanut butter
- There were more leveaners in the dough than required!
- Always chill the cookie dough for thick and better tasting cookies.
- Never skimp on the beating time of butter ans sugars.
- Don't over beat the dough after adding dry ingredients. I always fold mine in with a spatula.
- Under bake the cookies if you like softer cookies in the middle.
Follow me on Pinterest for all recipe updates!
More chocolate chip cookies you'll adore!
Cake batter cookies decorated in 6 styles
Ridiculously sized Strawberry cookies, my personal favorite!
Giant Birthday cookie stuffed with brownie and sprinkles. Yes you heard it right!
How to make Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- ½ Cup (1 stick) Butter (Unsalted, room temperature)
- ¼ Cup Granulated sugar
- ½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg (room temperature)
- ¾ Cup Peanut Butter (Creamy)
- 1 ¼ Cup All purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Chocolate chips (I used mini)
- ½ Cup Dark Chocolate (roughly chopped)
- Beat butter and both sugars together on medium using a stand mixer or hand beater until creamy and fluffy. Add in vanilla and egg. Beat on high to combine for about a minute.
- Now add peanut butter and beat it in too.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt on the creamed mixture and combine just until flour disappears.
- Gently fold in dark chocolate chunks and chocolate chips. Chill the dough for two hours or up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven at 350 deg F and line 2 baking sheet with silicon mats or parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 24 balls. Bake for 10 minutes. The edges will be lightly browned. They might appear a little undone in the centers, But don't be tempted to bake for long.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before transferring on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookie dough can be stored in refrigerator for 3 days, bring to room temperature and divide into 24 portions to proceed ahead with step 5 of recipe instructions.
- Unbaked cookie balls stay well in freezer for 3 months. Freeze them for a few hours on cookie sheet and then store them in zip locks. There is no need to thaw cookie balls before baking. Just bake them for an extra minute.
- Baked cookies stay good in freezer for 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, or at room temperature. You can also re-heat them in microwave for 15-20 seconds.
- These cookies when reheated, taste very close to a freshly baked cookie, try it!
this recipe was amazing I'm in 7th grade and love to bake and this my favorite
Neha, how amazing do these cookies look!?! I'm all about the soft texture and melty chocolate, but throw peanut butter into the mix and I'm in heaven!
YES, please! It's always time for cookies. I love chocolate chip cookies, but these sound over the top delicious because they are peanut butter also! Delish!
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer
I love a super soft peanut butter cookie and yours looks scrumptious! And hello copious amounts of chocolate chips too!
Love the tip for using brown sugar to keep the cookies soft, I would never have thought to do that!
Soft peanut butter cookies are my favorite, but somehow I never made them!! You've inspired me to try! Thanks!
I was unaware that brown sugar was the magic ingredient! These peanut butter cookies look perfectly soft and super delicious!
Marisa F. Stewart
We love peanut butter cookies. We devour chocolate chip cookies. Now, what will we do by combining the two?? Fall in love!! What an excellent idea. I've never tried it before but I'm certainly going to.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
My favourite combo!! These look so soft, it is almost like cookie dough. I LOVE it! 🙂
Soft peanut butter cookies - sounds like a dream in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.
Peanut butter and chocolate are a great combo and these soft and fluffy cookies look like the perfect combo of both!
Peanut butter cookies are one of my favorites! Add chocolate chips and you have a winner.
GUNJAN C Dudani
You got me at peanut butter. I love anything with peanut butter in it. I always prefer soft cookies over the crispy ones therefore, this dessert recipe is definitely meant for me.
I loooove peanut butter cookies. Really love the addition of chocolate chips here too.
They have the perfect melt in the mouth texture. I bet my kids would love to enjoy this with hot milk. Yum
Thanks for all the step by step photos for these tasty cookies! I love the tips too!
These are a favourite in our household! The perfect consistency 🙂
These peanut butter cookies are perfect! That soft texture is exactly what I was looking for, and they're definitely a hit. Thanks so much for sharing!
This is a magic combination and in fluffy cookies they are insanely tempting! My sweet soul thanks you for this recipe.
Anything with PB and I'm sold! These cookies look so scrumptious, wish I've had at least a dozen of them in front of me right now!