Pumpkin applesauce muffins are so easy to make and are a guilt free fall breakfast treat. Topped with soft pumpkin spice crumb and melty chocolate!
Want to opt for a healthy breakfast option that contains a little less oatmeal cookies and fewer overnight oat bowls?
Then my pumpkin applesauce muffins will be your best friends. For this pumpkin season. And for years to come, promise!
I know what you are thinking in your mind right now. Healthy pumpkin muffins? Apple sauce? Whole wheat? Rubbery? Chewy? Bland??? Blah!
Pish-posh! Scratch it all out of your head. Coz these truly the fluffiest muffins ever! So tender, soft and light.
Pumpkin applesauce muffins: Texture
Oh and these aren't any ordinary fluffy pumpkin muffins!
They are exploding with warm pumpkin spices, melty chocolate chips, toasty pepitas and a tender crumb on top. I am literally drooling on my keyboard as I type this! Gross!!!
Ample of pumpkin flavor and a ton of texture is what our muffins are over-flowing with! Muffin recipe adapted from this recipe here.
Under that crumb, you will find a pumpkin muffin that isn't very innocent!
Filled with (just enough) dark melty chocolate chunks, hearty pumpkin flavor, light texture and buttery crumbs, you can never guess they contain whole grains or applesauce. Promise!
I took care to add just enough chocolate so it doesn't steal all the spotlight. We want the pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavors to shine through. But chocolate for brekky? I got you covered!
Pumpkin applesauce muffins: Crumb Topping
That streusel is the bomb! Telling ya.
- Pumpkin spice (All that flavor!)
- Chocolate chunks
- Brown sugar (OMG! That color.)
- Butter (so Yum!)
- Pepita seeds
Pumpkin spice brown sugar chocolate chunk streusel it is. Simply topped with more chocolate chips! 😉
These pumpkin applesauce muffins are the perfect health-ish treat for breakfast, quick grab and go snack or even as a dessert. Hello, all the chocolate!
You won't be able to stop eating them and thanking me from the bottom of your stomach!
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Crumb Topping
- 1 ¼ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 large Eggs
- ⅓ cup Apple Sauce
- ⅓ cup Flavorless Oil
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- 1 ⅔ Cups Flour (I used ½ white whole wheat pastry flour+½ Apf)
- 2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Chocolate chips
For Crumb Topping
- ⅔ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup (½ stick) Melted Butter
- ⅓ cup Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ cup Pepita seeds
To prepare Pumpkin Spice Crumb Topping:
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and pumpkin spice together. And pour butter over it. Add in chocolate chips and seeds.
- Mix with a fork till crumbles form. Spread over muffin batter before baking.
for Pumpkin Muffins
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. And line a muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
- 2. Beat the eggs, pumpkin, oil and applesauce together in the bowl of a mixer. Add sugar and blend well.
- 3. Now sift .Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt over wet and fold only till the flour disappears. Mix in chocolate chips.
- 4. Pour the batter (it will be thick) into prepared liners. Top with crumb topping and press it down lightly.
- 5. Bake at 400 for about 15-17 minutes or till the muffin springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- 6. Top with a few more chocolate chips for looks (optional, but hey! More chocolate chips!!!). Enjoy warm.