My Pumpkin Cake Balls are cute little balls of Pumpkin Spice Cake mixed with Cream Cheese Frosting and dipped in chocolate. This is a no bake recipe ready in under 30 minutes.
Taste and Texture:
- Soft little balls dipped in a thin layer of milk chocolate
- Moist and creamy- filled with pumpkin spice flavors
- Finished off with festive fall sprinkles for a texture contrast and looks
Pumpkin Cake Balls Ingredients:
You will need only a few simple ingredients to make these Cake Balls. If you have left over Pumpkin cake/Pumpkin Cupcakes and frosting, you are gold!
- Pumpkin Cake/Pumpkin Cupcakes: If you already have some left over pumpkin cake or cupcakes, it is easiest to turn them into cake balls/cake pops. If not, bake a pumpkin cake, cool it down and crumble it then.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Just like leftover pumpkin cake, leftover frosting works wonderfully to make cake balls. Add just enough frosting so that you can easily form round balls from the mixture.
- Melted Chocolate: Now candy melts can be used to make cake balls but I recommend using chocolate bars. I like to use dark chocolate, since the cake and frosting are already too sweet.
- Sprinkles: Optional, but pretty.
How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Balls:
It can't get any easier! Since you are not sticking them on sticks they are even more easy to put together. Lets see how we are making them:
- Mix crumbled pumpkin cake and cream cheese frosting together.
- Form balls out of it and freeze for a few minutes.
- Dip the balls in chocolate using a fork.
- Top with sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet.
How long do cake balls stay fresh?
You can store dipped/undipped cake balls in refrigerator for 2 days. For longer storage, you can also freeze them for up to 1 month.
Thaw undipped balls in the refrigerator or at room temp overnight before dipping in melted chocolate.
Do cake balls need to be refrigerated?
Storing cake balls at room temperature is fine unless you are in a super hot environment. When kept in dry and cool space, cake balls will stay good for up to 2 days.
How to store Cake Balls:
If they are going to be used in a matter of few hours, you can store them at room temp, covered. Try to coat cake balls in chocolate only when you are ready to serve them.
Keeping them in refrigerator can cause the coating to become moist on top.
How big should cake balls be?
Cake Balls should be around 1-2 inch each. Chocolate coating will make them slightly bigger.
More Easy Fall Recipes:
Pumpkin Cake Balls
- Lollipop Sticks
- 1 Batch of Pumpkin Cupcakes
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 Tbsp Butter (Room Temp)
- 3 oz Cream Cheese (Room Temp, not cream cheese spread)
- 1 ½ Cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 6 oz bar/bag of Milk/dark Chocolate (Good quality, avoid Candy Melts)
- ½ Cup Sprinkles of choice
- Make frosting by beating butter, cream cheese and sugar together for a few minutes till it gets light and fluffy.
- Crumble cupcake using a fork till fine crumbs are formed. Mix frosting into it. Mixture must be moist enough to be easily rolled into cake balls.
- If you want uniform sized balls, use a mini cookie scoop and roll balls in round shape. Place on a parchment paper, till all the balls are formed. Quickly freeze them for around 15 minutes before dipping.
- Microwave chocolate or melt it using a double boiler and allow it to cool slightly before attempting to dip cake balls. Dip balls using a fork and shake off the excess chocolate from the balls.
- Top with sprinkles immediately. Place on parchment paper. Repeat until all cake balls are coated.
- You need your cake moist enough to be able to roll it into balls. Utilize frosting as required. If you are able to roll balls using less frosting, go for it.
- Freeze Balls before dipping to firm them up, This will make cake balls a breeze to dip.
- Melt chocolate using a tsp of oil. That way you won't get a thick layer of chocolate on cake balls.
- Quickly top the balls with sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
- Storing cake balls at room temperature is fine unless you are in a super hot environment. When kept in dry and cool space, cake balls will stay good for up to 2 days.
- If they are going to be used in a matter of few hours, you can store them at room temp, covered. Try to coat cake balls in chocolate only when you are ready to serve them.