Tall and soft, flaky and buttery, infused with fresh herbs and garlic cheddar cheese biscuits recipe! They are ready in 20 minutes tops.
Sides are undeniably THE BEST things to ever happen to feasts! I mean who cares for the main course when you can have super flaky and flavor rich buttermilk biscuits instead. 😉
Biscuits that hide about a bazillion of buttery and flaky layers inside! Infused with fresh garlic, fresh parsley and red chili flakes. Oh! and dotted with melty cheddar throughout. Those perfectly golden brown and crisp exteriors. Now I need to warm one right away!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHEDDAR CHEESE BISCUITS RECIPE
There are only 6 ingredients to form the base of this recipe.
- Super COLD Butter
- COLD Buttermilk
- Baking powder
- Little Sugar
And then, here is the fun part. About a ton of flavor combinations! Today we are mixing our buttermilk biscuit dough with fresh garlic and garlic powder(believe me, you need them both). 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley. Some chili flakes (YOU WILL LOVE A HINT OF HEAT HERE).
And small cubed cheddar cheese. I chose not to grate cheese in the dough instead I roughly chopped it in about a ⅓ inch size chunks and some a little smaller.
This little trick not only blends in the flavor of cheddar in the dough but also leaves the baked biscuits with slightly melty cheese post baking. Wait till you enjoy one straight out of oven!
How to make cheddar cheese biscuits
- Work cold butter into dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt)
- Add cold buttermilk
- Add seasonings and form the biscuit dough
- Fold in envelop style, three times. (more on that in a min).
- Cut your biscuits, brush with some buttermilk and bake
- Top with melted butter
How to fold dough for Cheddar cheese biscuits recipe
Folding and flattening technique works best for biscuit dough. This is how we do it.
- Flatten the dough in the shape of a rectangle.
- Fold it from one side and then fold from the other one (like in the pic below). Flatten the dough into a rectangle again.
- Fold from both the sides again and flatten.
- Repeat this folding and flattening step one more time.
- Cut into 6 biscuits after flattening the dough. I used a glass, as I don't have a biscuit cutter yet, oops! But glass works wonderfully here!
- Arrange biscuits on a baking tray, brush with some buttermilk and bake!
Tips for perfect buttermilk biscuits
- DO NOT over work your dough. It results in tough and dense biscuits with no visible flakes!
- Use cold Butter and cold Buttermilk. When cold butter is mixed in the dough, these little chunks of fat melt as the biscuits bake. This process creates air pockets in the biscuit, resulting in 100s of flakes. Always remember Cold Butter+cold buttermilk=Flakey biscuits!
- Don't twist your biscuit cutter. Very important to create nice and tall biscuits. Just press the cutter/glass down with firm hands till you cut the biscuit.
- Fold dough envelop style. Best technique to produce flakey biscuits.
- Bake biscuits on a dark bottom tray or cast iron skillet. Dark base leads to golden brown and crisp base.
Save yourself the trouble of dunking that biscuit in gravy. Or spreading them with some jam!
Coz I am telling ya, these cheddar cheese biscuits are super flavorful on their own. You only need your hands (yep, no plate required) and a huge appetite!
Easy to eat and even easier to put together! Simple pantry ingredients, only 15 minutes baking time and a dough that comes together in 5 minutes.
And when results are buttermilk biscuit perfection every time, you don't need to wait until Thanksgiving to try these!
If you love sides as much as I do, you will love these easy dinner rolls!
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits Recipe
- 1 ¼ Cups (156 gms) All purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp Freshly chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsps Fresh thyme (chopped)
- ¼ Cup (½ Stick) Cold butter (cubed, unsalted)
- ½ Cup + 1 Tbsp Cold buttermilk (divided)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ Cup Cubed cheddar cheese (about ⅓ of an inch, shredded cheese works too)
For Brushing on top
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1. Preheat your oven to 425 deg F. Line a dark baking tray with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can butter a cast iron skillet. Set it aside.
- 2. Place flour, baking powder, salt, both chopped garlic and garlic powder, parsley, chili flakes and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add cold and cubed butter to the bowl. Cut and mix butter into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter/fork. Combine till coarse crumbs form.
- 3. Add in cheddar cheese and add ½ cup of cold buttermilk. Stir it all together till all ingredients combine well. Do not over work the dough. It will appear very crumbly!
- 4. Turn the dough to a floured surface and form a rectangle out of the dough. Check out process pics in the post above for reference.
- 5. Now using fold and flatten technique, fold and flatten your dough 3 times. Then using your hands/rolling pin form a rectangle about ½-3/4 inch thick.
- 6. Cut into biscuits using a glass/biscuit cutter about 2-3 inches in diameter. Work with scraps till you have 5-6 biscuits.
- 7. Place on prepared tray/cast iron and brush with remaining buttermilk. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until they appear golden brown on top.
- 8. Take the cheddar cheese biscuits out from oven and brush with melted butter generously. Enjoy warm!
- Always use cold fat and buttermilk in the recipe for tall and flaky biscuits.
- Don't be tempted to over work the dough, it is meant to look crumbly at first.
- Don't twist your cutter while cutting the biscuits. This might seal the edges of biscuits preventing them from rising!
Tag @greedyeatsblog on Instagram when you make a recipe! Sighting your creations makes me so happy! 😉
Slightly adapted from Brown eyed Baker