Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe topped with whipped chocolate ganache decorated as Pumpkin Patch Cake is supremely soft, deliciously moist and oh-so fluffy! You don't even need a mixer to make this cake. This is such a simple, easy and fail proof Fall Cake recipe ready in under 45 minutes!
Try my Single layer Pumpkin Cake Next! Find all my fall Dessert Recipes here.
Taste and Texture:
- Soft, moist and light cake crumb
- Topped with creamy and mousse like Chocolate Ganache
- Filled with cozy fall spices
What will you need to make this cake:
- Canned Pumpkin: You will need one cup of canned pumpkin at room temperature. I always use Libby's brand, this is not a sponsored post, I just love it's texture and color to bake pumpkin desserts!
- Eggs: You will need two of them. Make sure they are at room temp too!
- Oil: Oil is the moist maker in our cake batter here. We will require half cup of it. If you want to reduce it, try using ¼ cup of apple sauce and ¼ cup oil instead.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream makes super rich and moist pumpkin cake. If you don't have it on hand, replace it with greek yogurt.
- Spices: Pumpkin Pie spice and Cinnamon make that perfectly pumpkin flavored cake!
- Sugar: A Combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar work best. Both light and dark sugar are fine here.
How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Cake:
Step 1: Whisk all the wet ingredients together: Mix eggs, oil, pumpkin puree, sour cream, vanilla and both sugars well.
Step 2: Fold dry ingredients into wet: Fold flour, leaveners, spices and salt into wet.
Step 3: Pour batter in pan: Pour your cake batter into an 8 inch lined pan.
Step 4: Bake: Bake at 350 deg F for 30-35 minutes or until done.
Step 5: Allow to Cool: Let the cake cool completely before you frost or decorate it.
Frosting your Pumpkin Cake:
I adore pumpkin cakes with chocolate, if you do too check out my Pumpkin Cake Balls Recipe.
But if you are more of a cream cheese frosting fan, try this Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting. I promise you will never look for any other cream cheese frosting recipes!
Making this whipped Chocolate Ganache is super simple and easy! You only need two ingredients and top it with cute pumpkins to make it a pumpkin patch cake if you'd like! Or enjoy as is!
Fondant pumpkins are super easy and fun to make. I chose three colors- Dark orange, orange and green to create this look. Then topped them with a whole clove for brown stem.
How do you make orange fondant?
I used 2 parts red fondant and 2 parts yellow fondant for dark orange color. And for a lighter shade, use 2 parts red and 3-4 parts of yellow. And keep mixing the two fondants till your desired color is obtained.
What two Colors make orange fondant?
If you want a darker orange color, you'll also need to buy brown or blue food coloring. Both liquid and gel food coloring works to dye fondant.
How to store leftover cake:
Any leftovers will stay good at room temperature for 2 days, covered tightly at all times. You can also store cake in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
More Fall Favorites from Greedy Eats:
If you liked this recipe, give it a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- Hand Mixer for whipping Ganache
- 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil works too)
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt (at room temperature)
- ½ Cup Dark brown sugar
- ¼ Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
Whipped Chocolate Ganache:
- 8 Ounces Semi sweet chocolate
- ½ Cup Heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp Pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Add oil, eggs, sour cream, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract to a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt) over the wet ones and fold in gently to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. When a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, it is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert cake on a wire rack after 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting. You may keep the cake in freezer after a few minutes to cool it down quickly. Then frost as desired.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and cream in 30-second increments, stir in between. Stir well till the chocolate melts and gets smooth. Mix in the vanilla after it cools down slightly (if adding).
- Cover and place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes, or until it is slightly firmed. Now using a hand beater, beat the ganache until it turns light and fluffy This may take about 3-4 minutes. Spread over the cooled cake and top with pumpkins if desired.
- You may store cake at room temperature, for 2-3 days. Keep it covered tightly at all times.
- Any leftovers can be refrigerated for 4-5 days or you can also freeze unfrosted cake for up to 3 months. Bring it to room temperature before frosting.
- Even frosted cake freezes well, up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, bring to room temperature or serve cold.
There are so many recipes out there but this is the best I found! So easy to follow.
The pumpkins on top are so realistic looking. This is a great recipe for Fall!
This cake is so cute! My boys will love this, I am going to make it for our Halloween party this year.
Stop! This is so dang cutel! I'll have to sweet talk the baker in work to make me one for my Halloween party.
Oh wow! That was absolutely beautiful cake design! Also of course this will surelly taste equally delightful (not to mention that yummynlooking ganache) . But that cake and those adorable pumpkins are really eye catching.. Are those fondants?
Ivan M. Jose
That looks really good. I like the flavor of pumpkin in pastries, so I'll try to do this pumpkin cake on one weekend.
This pumpkin cake recipe looks so awesome and indeed super easy to make. Perfect for Halloween!
love this recipe wow so yummyyy pumpkin cake. Thanks for sharing with us