Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with whole grains, naturally sweetened and contain no butter. Made in one bowl, these Banana Muffins are ready under 30 minutes!
Muffins: Taste & Texture
- Super soft and moist
- Dotted with mini chocolate chips through out
- Tastes like banana bread but better
- These have a light crumb that you'll love
- Ripen Banana: You will need 3 of those (medium sized ones). If you are unsure, measure about 1 ½ cups of mashed banana.
- Honey: Honey is the ultimate moist muffin maker here, but you can also use brown sugar instead! Muffins will still be beautifully moist.
- Coconut Oil: Any flavorless oil works here. Also melted butter works like a charm and makes muffin taste all buttery.
- Leaveners: 1 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of baking soda
- Flour: I used 100% whole wheat flour to make these. But you can use all purpose flour. Or half wheat and half all purpose flour too.
- Egg: 1 egg at room temp will give muffins their structure.
How to make Banana Muffins:
You only need one bowl to make this batter and no special equipments are needed to whip these up!
- Mash bananas, add and whisk egg, honey, oil and vanilla.
- I like to sift all dry ingredients over wet for light textured muffins.
- Time for add ins of your choice!
- Pour in liners and bake initially at 425 deg f for 5 mins and then at 350 deg F till done!
What can I do with lots of ripe bananas?
Bake these muffins! 😉 Or these Cinnamon Sugar Banana Muffins. Try baking banana cupcakes, banana cake or good ol banana bread!
How many calories are in a banana muffin?
When using all healthy ingredients, a banana muffin contains around 190 calories.
How do you know when banana muffins are done?
When they pass tooth pick test, muffins are done. Keep an eye on them, when close to the baking time. You don't want to over bake them. No one likes dry muffins!
How do you store banana bread muffins?
Muffins stay good at room temp for a few days or in refrigerator for a week. For longer storage you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Do banana muffins need to be refrigerated?
If you wish to store muffins for more than 2-3 days, refrigerate them.
How long do banana muffins last in the fridge?
Muffins stay good for a week in the refrigerator.
More Muffin Recipes:
If you liked these Muffins give them a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin Tray
- 1 ½ Cups Banana (Ripen, 3 medium)
- 1 Large Egg
- ⅔ Cup Honey (or ⅔ Cup Brown sugar)
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ (190 gms) Cups Flour (Whole wheat or All Purpose Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) and line a 12 count muffin pan with muffin liners and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mash bananas using a fork. Add egg, oil, honey and vanilla. Whisk them all for a minute using a hand whisk. Sift all dry ingredients over wet and fold only till combined.
- Mix chocolate chips or any other mix ins like (nuts, poppy seeds, blueberries or raisins) in the batter.
- Divide batter among the prepared liners and bake them at 425°F for 5 minutes. Then keeping muffins in the oven, reduce oven temp to 350 deg F and continue to bake them for 15-18 minutes. Total time to bake these muffins is 22-23 minutes. Always make sure muffins pass toothpick test.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and cool down further on a wire rack.
- You may store muffins at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 3 days. In fridge for up to 5 days.
- Also they are freezer friendly and store well for up to 2 months. Thaw on counter top or overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.