Do you have a chocolate banana bread in your repertoire? Even if you do you need to add this recipe. This recipe is easy, requires only one bowl and made with pantry staple ingredients!
This Chocolate Banana bread is like a combination of banana bread and brownies. Need we say more? You won't be able to resist the fudgy, chewy texture with the subtle banana flavor. Truly a kitchen classic.
Looking for more banana recipes? Try these Healthy Banana Muffins or this Easy Healthy Banana Bread Recipe.
Keep a stash of ripe bananas in the freezer so you can make these banana recipes any time the craving hits.
Taste and Texture:
- Super soft and moist bread
- Decadent and fudgy flavor
- Soft chocolaty crumb
- Rich and decadent texture
- Ripe bananas: You will require 3 very ripe bananas, the blacker the better.
- Unsalted butter: Melt and cool your butter slightly.
- Cooking oil: Any mild flavored or flavorless oil will do.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar adds moisture and a slight caramel-like flavor.
- All purpose flour: Use this pantry staple for the best taste and texture.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This cocoa powder adds a deep rich chocolate flavor. We are using the natural kind.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: These chocolate chips add an even more intense chocolate flavor.
How to make this Banana Bread
It is super easy to make this bread batter. All you need is a bowl, a whisk and a bread pan to bake your loaf. To make this bread-
- Mix wet ingredients together: Mash the ripe bananas in a large bowl using a fork and stir in the melted butter, oil, egg, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Sift dry over wet: Sift dry ingredients into the wet and fold just until they are combined. Try not to overmix as it will make your banana bread chewy and dense.
- Add ins: Fold in chocolate chips or some nuts like walnuts, if you like (optional).
- Pour batter in the pan: Pour batter into prepared pan and top with remaining chocolate chips (if adding, I did not!).
- Bake: Bake the loaf for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool: Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now it's time to frost!!!
Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting
It is a very easy and a luxuriously rich frosting recipe you will love it.
To make if you are just going to mix dry ingredients together, add softened butter then boiling water to it. Mix all well until smooth. Add melted chocolate and mix again. Refrigerate and then use.
Tips and tricks to make perfect bread:
Selecting Bananas: The blacker the bananas the better. The more ripe the bananas are the sweeter they are. But don't let the bananas get too black, once they start to blacken peel them and place them in the freezer to use later.
Cocoa Powder: I use natural unsweetened cocoa powder here, though dutch processed will work too, since we are using more baking powder in the recipe, it works perfectly well.
Everything Room Temperature: Room temperature ingredients mix better with each other and form a uniform batter. This always results in a perfect bake!
Cooking Oil: Any kind of flavorless cooking oil works. I like to use canola, vegetable or even avocado oil.
Salted or unsalted Butter: I prefer unsalted. You can use salted butter however it is difficult to know how much salt the butter has, so I recommend you reduce the amount of salt to add to the recipe by half.
How do you make triple chocolate banana bread?
Well, with this bread, if you only add chocolate chips to the batter you've got yourself a triple chocolate bread! Cocoa and chocolate chips in the batter. Then cocoa and chocolate in the frosting. 😉
Why is my banana bread not moist enough?
There can be multiple reasons for this to happen.
- You added too much flour in the batter. Always measure your flour well. Using a measuring scale helps.
- Or if you end up baking the bread for way too long! Make sure to check your bread with a toothpick for doneness and don't overbake it.
- There was not enough liquid in the recipe.
How long can ripe bananas stay in the freezer?
Bananas can stay in the freezer for a few months. Make sure to use the first in first out method.
Can I freeze this chocolate banana bread?
Yes, you can freeze this chocolate banana bread though we don't think it will last long enough for leftovers.
Can I make this chocolate banana bread in advance?
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen. Frost before serving.
Do I have to add the frosting?
We love chocolate frosting on almost anything 🙂 but you don't need to add the frosting if you prefer to eat the banana bread without it.
Can I make the chocolate banana loaf dairy-free?
Yes, you can use a vegan butter substitute instead of the unsalted butter. Make sure to buy non-dairy chocolate chips as some brands contain milk ingredients.
Can I make the chocolate banana loaf gluten-free?
Yes, you can substitute Cup4Cup or Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour.
Can I make this recipe egg-free?
You can make this recipe egg-free by using 1 tablespoon of flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit until it has thickened.
Can I make this recipe without a loaf pan?
Yes you can make this recipe into muffins however the baking time will be different. Or try these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Looking for more Chocolate Desserts? I've got you covered! Try this Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe, my Chocolate Mug Cake or this Swiss Roll. You are sure to make this Chocolate Cake again and again too!
Bread recipes more up your alley? Try this Zucchini Bread, Chocolate Chip Bread or this Pretty in pink Strawberry Bread. These all are sure to please!
If you liked this Chocolate Banana Bread recipe, please give it a star review. I would really appreciate it. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did it turn out for you! How did your family or guests like it? How did you personalize it? And don’t forget to share your wonderful creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Let's be friends on Pinterest and Facebook too!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 8 X 5 Loaf Pan
- 1 Hand/stand Mixer (to whisk frosting)
- 3 Ripe bananas the blacker the better
- ⅓ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee optional but enhances chocolate flavor a lot!
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
One Minute Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- 3 ¼ cups Powdered Sugar
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ⅓ sticks Unsalted butter softened
- 2 (60 gms) oz Dark chocolate melted
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 130 ml Boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Mix in melted butter, coffee and oil. Combine well. Whisk in the egg, vanilla and brown sugar and stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in half the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the comes out mostly clean.
- Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove and place onto a wire rack to cool.
One Minute Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- Mix together the dry ingredients, sugar, cocoa and salt. Now add the softened butter and pour in the boiling water over it.
- Now whisk till the mixture gets smooth and glossy. Add in the melted chocolate and mix again. Now cover it refrigerate the frosting for 30 minutes or till it sets well.
- Remove from the fridge, give it a quick whirl and top over the cooled bread.
Oh. My. Gosh. This is so moist and flavorful and tasty! Thank you for this incredible recipe.
Oh yum! How delicious does this look? As a choc-a-holic I'm all over this bread.
Who said banana bread can't get any better? Brilliant chocolate loaf and the added coffee really helps with the flavour! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Moist, delicious, perfect chocolatey banana perfection. Thanks for this recipe!
Chocolate Banana Bread is one of the best combos. Love how delicious it looks. thanks for sharing.