Moist, airy and fluffy Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe to brighten up your day! This 6 inch Lemon Cake bakes super tall and is just the right amount of sweet.
Who could resist a delicate, pillowy, soft and light slice of lemony cake. I wouldn’t (I also couldn’t stop at one)!
This Lemon Chiffon cake tastes like you are biting into clouds. No kidding. And is super easy to bake too! As long as you manage to make a silky and frothy meringue. Follow the recipe to the T and you are gold.
Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe Ingredients:
- Cake Flour:
- Baking Powder:
- Vanilla Extract:
- Lemon zest and juice:
- Cream of Tartar:
How to make Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
There are two parts to today’s recipe-
- Making the Cake Batter:
- Making the Meringue:
How to make Meringue:
- We will begin by whipping room temp egg whites in a clean bowl.
- Add in cream of Tartar.
- Now adding sugar slowly, keep beating the egg whites for 4-5 minutes.
- Beat just until stiff peaks form!
Although this Lemon Chiffon Cake tastes so good on it’s own. I’d never deny the comfort of sweet berry glaze on top of this dreamy cake. Don’t skip it!
You will need fresh berry puree, lemon juice, vanilla and confectioners’ sugar to bring this bright sweet and easy glaze together.
- 113 Gms Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp water)
- 90 Gms Egg Yolks
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Milk
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) Oil
- 120 Gms Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 3/4 Cup (150 gms) Granulated Sugar (divided)
For Blackberry Glaze
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Blackberries
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-1 1/2 Cups Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat your oven to 320°F (160°C) and line a 6-inch round cake tin (3-4 inches tall) with parchment paper. Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
- Add egg yolks + 50 gms to sugar to a mixing bowl and beat for a minute. Add oil, vanilla extract, salt, milk, water, lemon juice and zest to the bowl and mix in till everything gets combined well.
- Now add in atleast three times sifted cake flour and baking powder to the mixture and fold it in.
- In a separate clean and dry bowl, add egg whites (at room temperature only) and beat in for a minute. Now add cream of tartar/lemon juice to it and beat well. Slowly keep on adding the remaining sugar and beating continuously until the meringue forms stiff peaks. This may take 5-6 minutes.
- Mix meringue in the yellow cake batter in three batches. And fold in using a spatula.
- Pour the mix in your lined cake tin and bake for 55-58 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert the cake tin, as soon as you take it out of the oven and let it cool down completely.
For Blackberry Glaze
- Microwave fresh blackberries and lemon juice in a microwave safe bowl until berries release their juices.
- Strain the puree and add it to confectioners' sugar. Mix in vanilla and combine until a smooth glaze forms.
- If the glaze is too thick add a tsp or 2 of water slowly. If it is too thin add some more confectioners' sugar.
- Pour and spread over cooled cake!