Thick and chewy Cinnamon spiced Star Sugar Cookies topped with golden star sprinkles and dunked in maple icing that sets beautifully!
You can never put down a vanilla flavored Sugar Cookie. But adding Sweet Maple and warm Cinnamon flavor to your Sugar Cookies is a must this season!
You'd never want to bake sugar cookies any other way!
Little more about Star Sugar Cookies:
My Cinnamon Sugar Cookies are super easy and so much fun to make. You can make ahead and chill the cookie dough up to 3 days in the refrigerator. When ready to bake we will roll out and cut cookie dough with star cutter for these star cookies.
Top them with glittery sprinkles and bake! That maple icing is flavored with maple extract along with maple syrup. I strongly recommend maple extract for best flavor!
Star Sugar Cookies ingredients:
- Flour: All purpose flour is the base of our sugar cookies.
- Cinnamon: Warm and spicy sugar cookies taste the best. We will use a tsp of ground Cinnamon.
- Baking Powder: We are making cinnamon sugar cookies without baking soda and using baking powder as a leavener.
- Salt: For flavor!
- Butter: Always use room temperature butter. But it shouldn't be greasy to touch!
- Granulated Sugar: Also, we are making cinnamon sugar cookies without brown sugar. This trick yields super chewy sugar cookies!
- Egg: Like my most cookie recipes we are using half of an egg. To measure it, lightly whisk an egg in a bowl and measure 2 Tbsp of egg out of it and add to your cookie batter.
- Vanilla: For flavor. Do not skip it!
- Sprinkles: Gold stars or sprinkles of choice. I topped them to cookies before baking!
For the Maple Icing: Maple syrup, Confectioners' sugar and maple extract.
How to make homemade cinnamon sugar cookies:
- Make the cookie dough:
- Chill the dough:
- Roll it out and cut into star shapes
- Top with sprinkles
- Bake and cool
- Dunk in Maple Icing:
How can I add flavor to my sugar cookies?
- Try adding chai spice to your sugar Cookies and dunk them in white chocolate.
- Add small chunks of walnuts/hazelnuts to the dough and drizzle baked cookies with melted chocolate.
- Add chocolate chips/ butterscotch chips or sprinkles in the cookie dough!
How do you store decorated sugar cookies?
Decorated Sugar Cookies can be store up to a week at room temp covered tightly. For longer storage they can be frozen as well.
Why are my cookies hard?
- Cookies can turn hard if they are over baked.
- Number one reason for hardened cookies is over measuring the flour!
What ingredient keeps cookies soft?
Try adding a slice of bread to your cookie jar to help them stay softer for days. If the slice of bread dries out, replace it with a fresh one.
Can I substitute Maple extract with maple syrup?
Short answer is no! Maple extract is way more potent than maple syrup. So you will require quite a few tbsps of maple syrup in the icing to get that flavor. This can make the icing way too thin.
More cookie recipes you will love:
Star Sugar Cookies
- 6 Tbsp Butter (Softened to room temperature)
- 6 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- ½ large Egg (2 Tablespoons) (See notes)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp ( 140 Gms) All purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Cup Sprinkles (optional)
- ½ Cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 Tsp Maple Extract
- 1 ½ Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup/ Milk (Add a little more liquid if icing is too thick)
- Beat butter using a hand held mixer until light and creamy for a minute. Now beat butter and sugar together on high speed About 2 minutes.
- Beat in half of an egg and vanilla. Beat on high speed to combine until everything is incorporated well.
- Now add in dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder) in two additions and beat on low until the cookie dough forms.
- Cover and chill the dough for atleast 2 hours and maximum 2 days in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 deg F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll out the cookie dough to ¼ of an inch thickness and cut cookies using a star cookie cutter. Top with sprinkles (if using) before baking.
- Line and bake cookies for 9-10 minutes. The cookies will appear golden on the edges at this time. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray and cool further down on a wire rack.
- Dunk in maple icing after the cookies have cooled down completely. Top with additional sprinkles quickly before the icing sets!
For Maple Icing:
- Mix confectioners' sugar, maple extract and maple syrup/milk together until combined and a smooth icing forms.
- Add more sugar if icing is too thin. Add little milk if the maple icing is too thick.