If chewy, thick and soft cookies are your sugar cookie goals, this Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie Recipe will amaze you with its amazing texture and flavors!
I am so not ready to say good bye to fall desserts, collecting colorful leaves, autumn spices, going on hikes and making pumpkin pancakes every single weekend.
And it’s almost time to take those winter jackets out (duh! I’m not a fan of wearing puffy jackets)!
Oh but baking iced sugar cookies? Also, Gingerbread cookies??? OMG! and drinking Peppermint Mocha!!! Suddenly I am all excited!
Okay, lets talk more about making cookies! If you appreciate an easy sugar cookie recipe that bakes soft and thick, you’ve come to the right place.
cream cheese sugar cookie recipe ingredients:
- Butter: We will use unsalted and room temperature butter for this recipe. If you are using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the cookie dough.
- Cream Cheese: Also room temperature. This makes it so easy for the butter to combine with cheese and form a uniform dough. Also, you will beat the chances of getting a curdled cream cheese!
- Sugar: Granulated sugar works best for this sugar cookie recipe.
- Egg: Now many of my recipes use half of an egg, since they are small batch recipes. To measure it- lightly whisk an egg, measure and add 2 tablespoons of egg in this cookie dough.
- Cake Flour: Sift your cake flour over wet ingredients to produce thick and uniform cookies.
- Leavener: 1/4 tsp of baking powder to help cookies rise.
- Vanilla and Salt: For flavor.
- Almond Extract: Now I wouldn’t say this is optional. As almond extract brings out such a brilliant flavor to your sugar cookies. Try it!
- Sprinkles: We will coat cookie dough balls in sprinkles before baking them!
How do you make cream cheese cookies:
- We begin with beating, butter and room temp cream cheese for a min or so.
- Add sugar and beat again. Next goes in egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients on wet and fold to combine.
- Cover and chill dough for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Form 1-1.5 inch balls, roll in sprinkles and bake!
- Enjoy one straight outta oven! Oh but let it cool down a bit. 😉
Do cookies made with cream cheese need to be refrigerated?
You can keep the cookies fresh covered at room temperature for 2 days. For longer storage, cookies made with cream cheese need to be stored in refrigerator.
Can I substitute cream cheese for butter in cookies?
I wouldn’t suggest this substitution for this cookie recipe. Butter gives a cookie kinda rich structure to these sugar cookies. Eliminating butter entirely from dough will result in extra puffy and non-uniform cookies.
Can you freeze cookies with cream cheese?
Both baked and unbaked cookies made with cream cheese can be frozen.
- To freeze unbaked cookie balls, place them on a lined baking tray and freeze until very firm to touch. Then freeze them in ziploc bags.
- No need to thaw before baking, just add a min or two to baking time.
More Christmas Baking Inspiration for you:
Easy and prettiest Mint swirled Chocolate Bark
Best Monkey Bread Recipe that you’ll ever make!
Flavor packed Cranberry Orange Crumb Cake
Giant Strawberry Cookie dotted with chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) Butter (Unsalted, room temp)
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese (full fat, room temp)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 of a large (2 Tbsp) Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 Cup minus 2 Tbsps Cake Flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sprinkles
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese for a minute in a medium bowl, using a hand held or stand mixer.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg till combined.
- Pour in both extracts and beat them in too.
- Sift all the dry ingredients over wet and fold on low till cookie dough forms.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours (up to 2 days) in fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line a cookie tray with parchment paper or silicon mat and set it aside.
- Form 9 balls out of the dough (you may make more or less) and roll them in sprinkles and coat all the balls.
- Place the dough balls on pre-prepared cookie tray (2 inches apart) and bake for 9-10 minutes. Or till the cookies get golden on the bottom edges.
- Allow to cool and serve warm or store in an airtight container to enjoy later.