Create a fun baking tradition in your house for Thanksgiving with this Pumpkin Roll Recipe. Not only is it perfect for tasting that pumpkin flavor but it's also an amazing balance of real pumpkin, spices and sweetness. This simple roll dessert with creamy frosting is great for sharing with all your family and friends!
Make sure to try my Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe next. Find more Fall Desserts on the blog here.
TASTE AND TEXTURE:
- Light and fluffy
- Filled with sweet and silky cream cheese frosting
- Made using 100% real pumpkin
If you love everything pumpkin during this season, you need to bake my Pumpkin Chocolate Cookies. If you are not into baking Layered Pumpkin Cakes, try this Pumpkin Tart. And if you are into healthy Pumpkin Breakfasts, these Pumpkin Overnight Oats and Whole wheat Pumpkin Muffins are a must bake.
- powdered sugar - You'll use this for helping to not stick as well as a light dusting for sweetness on top.
- salt - Be aware that if you're using salted butter, you may want to omit adding in extra salt.
- eggs - Three eggs at room temperature are needed for this recipe.
- pumpkin - Canned pumpkin is the best for this recipe. Make sure that you're getting 100% real canned pumpkin as some are actually made with squash. I love to use Libby's brand in my Pumpkin Desserts.
- walnuts - The walnuts are optional but add a great texture.
- cream cheese - Be sure to have cream cheese at room temperature so that it mixes well and is creamy.
- butter or margarine - I prefer to use butter over margarine for flavor.
HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN ROLL
Preheat the oven. Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. As the oven is preheating, line a jelly roll pan with parchment/wax paper. (A good size pan to use is 15x10 inches) Grab a clean cotton kitchen towel and lay flat on the counter. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
Combine ingredients. In a bowl mix the cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a mixer and grab a separate large bowl and beat the eggs and granulated sugar until the mixture is thickened. Mix in the pumpkin and then stir in the flour mixture. Spread the mixture evenly into your jelly-roll pan and then add nuts to the top.
Bake. Put pan in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes. You'll know the Pumpkin Spice Roll Cake is done when the top springs back at you when gently pushed on. If you are baking this in a darker pan, you will want to start checking for doneness around 11 minutes of time to not overcook it.
Cool down. Once the time is done baking, loosen from pan. Then, turn the jelly-pan upside down, putting pumpkin roll onto the powered sugar-covered towel. Peel off wax paper and roll the towel and pumpkin roll together to let cool.
Make the filling. Grab a clean bowl and mix together the room temperature cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Unroll the cake from towel. Use a frosting spreader and apply cream cheese filling all over the cake. Once done, roll back up the cake again.
Chill the cake. Wrap the completed cake in plastic wrap and place it in fridge for 1 hour. During this time, frosting sets and the cake holds its shape so much better when cut.
Serve. If you want to add more powdered sugar on top, time to do so is right before serving. Cut chilled cake with a sharp serrated knife.
CAN YOU ADD OTHER TOPPINGS TO THIS ROLL CAKE RECIPE?
You can. Some people prefer to add a bit of creamy frosting on top, which is a great idea as well. If you want to do that, you can just save back a small portion so you don't have to make the entire filling recipe all over.
Why does my pumpkin roll crack when I unroll it?
Roll your cake into the towel/parchment paper as soon as it comes out of oven. When you roll the cake warm, it will be crack free.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH this roll?
Since this Pumpkin Roll Cake is perfect on its own, you really don't have to serve it with anything. However, I do enjoy a slice of this simple pumpkin cake with a nice piping hot cup of coffee.
Does a pumpkin cake roll need to be refrigerated?
Due to the ingredients in this roll cake, you have to keep it stored in the fridge until you're ready to eat it again. Just add it to a storage container with a lid to keep it nice and fresh.
QUICK TIPS FOR MAKING PUMPKIN ROLL CAKE
- The biggest tip to remember is that you need to be sure that you're using enough powdered sugar on the clean cotton towel. Otherwise roll cake is going to stick and it might tear it apart in the process.
- Or you can roll your cake using the same parchment paper that you lined on the pan. That way you won't need any powdered sugar or kitchen towel at all! I always opt for this technique and my cake never sticks. 🙂
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES FOR YOU TO TRY
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar (this will be used to sprinkle onto the clean cotton towel)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature (not cream cheese spread)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- extra confectioners' sugar (optional) for topping
- Preheat the oven. Start by preheating oven to 375 degrees. As the oven is preheating, line a jelly roll pan with wax paper. (A good size pan to use is 15x10 inches)Grab a clean cotton kitchen towel and lay flat on the counter. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
- Combine ingredients. In a bowl mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a mixer and grab a separate large bowl and beat the eggs and granulated sugar until the mixture is thickened and fluffy. Mix in canned pumpkin and then stir in the flour mixture. Spread mixture evenly into your jelly-roll pan and then add nuts to the top (if adding).
- Bake. Put the pan in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes. You'll know Pumpkin Spice Roll Cake is done when the top springs back when gently pushed on. If you are baking this in a darker pan, you will want to start checking for the doneness at around 11 minutes to not overcook it.
- Cool down. Once it's baked, loosen from pan and turn the jelly-pan upside down, putting pumpkin roll onto powered sugar-covered towel. Peel off the wax paper and roll towel and pumpkin roll together to let cool.
- Make the filling. Grab a clean bowl and mix together room temperature cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Unroll the cake from towel. Use a frosting spreader and apply cream cheese filling all over the cake. Once done, roll back up the cake again. Now wrap cake in plastic wrap/parchment paper and place it in the fridge to chill for atleast 1 hour.
- Serve. If you want to add more powdered sugar on top, the time to do so is right before serving.
- Frosted roll stays good for up to 5 days in refrigerator, covered at all times.
- Pumpkin rolls freeze well. Wrap it in foil and store frozen for up to 2 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying..
Wow....this looks so cool....it's just like what we call a "rolex" here! I must try it out. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I haven't made a roll like this in a long time! Your recipe was easy to follow and everyone in my family enjoyed it!
I didn't know that you can bake a cake using a pumpkin and the main recipe. This looks delicious! the cream cheese filling tickles my cravings 🎔
khoingn | The Broad Life
Wow this' looked delicious. Can't wait to make one myself!
I love the pumpkin flavor of this recipe! I'm making this again for Thanksgiving because it was just that good!
Pumpkin roll cake? I am sure my mom would love this recipe. I will definitely save this recipe!
My family loves roll cakes. We usually have a vanilla one with a light cream and fresh fruit.
I love the fall and pumpkin season! Just saved this recipe to make later. I am a little concerned about the rolling part, but I will definitely keep your tips in mind.
Wow! This looks delicious. Will take your advice to use canned pumpkins instead of fresh ones. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Can't wait to try it.
I have never tried to make a pumpkin roll, and this one looks really delicious and easy. I am so excited to make this for everyone.
Eileen M Loya
Oh my, this pumpkin roll cake looks delicious. Even the cream cheese filling is to die for. I am making it on the weekend. My kids will have happy tummies. Thank you for the recipe.
Great recipe here. This will be a great addition to my list
I love to serve this with a hot coffee too or hot cocoa. It's perfect!
Id love to make this a fun baking tradition in my house! Thanks for sharing your recipe
I'm not really a pumpkin person but the cream cheese frosting in every bite has me sold! Plus, it looks so simple to make. Going to have to bookmark this one for thanksgiving I have a feeling it will be a hit!