If you love upside down cakes and pecan pie, you won't be able to stop eating this buttery Pecan Pie Pound cake. And that salted caramel pecan topping will have your heart!
Try my Banana Caramel Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting next! Find all my Bundt Cake Recipes here.
This Butter pecan pound cake is kind of a cross between old fashioned butter pecan cake and an upside down cake.
Between the sweet salty caramel sauce and buttery vanilla cake, sits a sticky Pecan pie filling. Could you ask for more?
And the best part? You don't have to prepare caramel sauce and pecan pie filling separately! Just dump all the filling ingredients together and pour cake batter over.
Recipe: Taste & Texture
- Soft but not crumbly
- Fluffy and tender crumb
- Buttery and rich to taste with a light crunch from sweet-salty caramelized pecans
After baking, when inverted the pecan filling will stay on top and the shiny caramel sauce will drip down the cake. My mouth is literally watering as I type this. Ewww!
Pecan Pound cake ingredients:
- Pecan Cake Filling: For making butter pecan cake filling, we will need brown sugar, butter, salt, pecans and some corn syrup.
- Pound Cake Batter:
- Butter: Can you imagine any pound cake without butter? 😉
- Cake Flour: Cake flour guarantees a soft and velvety crumb as it has less gluten than APF. You can make your own Cake flour at home. Check notes!
- Eggs: For binding and lifting our vanilla pound cake
- Granulated Sugar: For sweetness. We need ½
- Milk: I recommend full fat milk for a rich pound cake.
- Little Baking powder: For lift.
- Vanilla and salt: For flavor.
How to make Pecan pie pound cake?
Now we are employing Reverse Creaming technique to make our vanilla pound cake. This is a simple cake batter mixing technique that assures a soft and velvety crumb.
You can bake butter pecan bundt cake with cake mix. But if you wish to bake a butter pecan cake from scratch with fluffy soft crumb, try Reverse Creaming method of mixing!
How to reverse cream a cake?
- Firstly. we will mix our dry ingredients with room temp. butter to coat the flour.
- Add one egg and some milk and beat thoroughly.
- And then add remaining eggs and wet ingredients in two additions, beating the batter after each. This step helps reducing gluten formation in the batter and it results in a soft and tender crumb.
- Pour cake batter over pecan filling and bake. This method is comparatively easy that regular creaming as less mixing is involved!
Bundt cake baking problems solved!
should a bundt pan be greased?
Short answer is yes! Greasing promises an easy bundt cake release!
How do you grease a bundt pan?
With some melted butter and flour. Shake off the excess flour out of the cake pan before pouring the batter in. Don't grease pan with non stick sprays. As they won't let your cake batter cling to the sides and rise properly!
How do you know when a bundt cake is done?
The cake will start pulling away from its sides. Also, a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Should you let a bundt cake cool before flipping it?
Yes, for 10-15 minutes minimum. Don't be tempted to get the cake out of pan as soon as it comes out of oven. After 10-15 minutes, flip it and it will slowly start to come out of the pan!
What is the best pan to cook a pound cake in?
Any non stick pan, that isn't too dark would be good to bake Pound Cakes. Just remember not to fill them more than ⅔ or ¾ with cake batter. As your cake can overflow out of the pan while baking.
More fall desserts that you will love:
If you liked these Muffins give them a star review. Also, tell me in the comments below, how did this turn out for you! And don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram at #greedyeatsblog Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Pecan Pie Pound Cake
Pecan Caramel Filling
- ½ Cup Butter (unsalted)
- ½ Cup Brown sugar
- ¼ Cup Light Corn Syrup
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Pecans (coarsely chopped)
For Pound Cake
- 14 Tbsp (100 gms) Cake Flour
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Butter (room temp)
- 2 large Eggs (room temp)
- 2 Tbsp Milk (Full fat, room temp)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
For Pecan Filling
- Add all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in small increments, till the butter melts. Set it aside.
For the Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F and grease and coat/spray a 6 inch bundt pan with melted butter and flour/baking spray. Then pour pie filling into the pan. Set it aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Next add butter, vanilla and one egg. Beat for 2 mins on medium low to combine. You can use either a stand mixer/hand mixer for making the cake batter.
- Stop and scrape the sides and bottom as needed. Next add the second egg and beat again for a minute. Now add milk and beat it in too. Around 30 seconds. Pour the batter over pecan filling and bake for 40-45 mins or till the cake pass the toothpick test.
- Keep a rimmed baking tray under the cake pan to catch any drips of caramel sauce!
- After the cake is out of oven, allow to cool for 10-15 mins before flipping to get it out of the pan. Once flipped, scoop out any remaining pecans/sauce in the pan, over the cake. Enjoy!
- Any left overs will stay good at room temp (covered tightly) for 2 days.
- For longer storage, keep in refrigerator up to 5 days!
- This pecan pie upside down cake can also be frozen for 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on counter top for a few hours before serving.