A Small Vanilla Cake Recipe that bakes a one layered, moist and tender crumb cake decorated with sweet vanilla buttercream. A perfect 6 inch vanilla cake for small gatherings.
If you are looking for a soft, tender and buttery small batch vanilla cake recipe, you’ve come to the right place.
This is a easy vanilla cake recipe that makes 8 good servings. Slather it with classic vanilla buttercream, cream cheese frosting or easy chocolate frosting(use regular butter if not vegan). Choices are unlimited!
Small Vanilla Cake recipe ingredients:
- Butter: Always use room temperature butter for a perfect textured cake.
- Sugar: We are using granulated sugar in this recipe. Don’t reduce its quantity.
- Egg Whites: Not using yolks in cake batter will produce a white and not overly dense crumb.
- Vanilla Extract: For best flavor, use pure vanilla extract.
- Sour Cream: Produces a moist vanilla cake that you will love.
- Milk: To thin the batter out. Use full fat milk for a great homemade vanilla cake flavor.
- Flour: All purpose flour is the base of this recipe.
- Leavener: You ‘ll need both baking powder and baking soda.
- Salt: To balance sweetness.
How to make homemade vanilla cake?
- Cream butter and sugar
- Beat in egg whites and vanilla
- Beat in sour cream
- Alternately add sifted dry ingredients and milk
- Pour in greased and lined pan and bake
- Allow to cool down completely before frost
Small batch buttercream frosting:
My vanilla buttercream recipe makes enough frosting to frost a tall 6 inch cake or a 2 layered 6 inch cake. You will have leftover frosting to pipe the swirls as I did.
Half the recipe if you are only looking to smother your cake with frosting and indulge right away!
What makes a cake moist and dense?
- Sour cream
- Full fat milk
- Making vanilla cake recipe with oil as opposed to butter.
Does sour cream make a cake moist?
Undoubtedly! Also the acid and fat present in the sour cream produces a rich, moist and fine crumb cake.
How do you store a cake overnight before frosting?
Wrap your cake in plastic wrap and store at room temperature in an air tight container overnight. You don’t need to refrigerate it.
Small Vanilla Cake Recipe
- 1/3 Cup Butter (unsalted, room temp)
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Egg Whites (separate yolks when eggs are cold, then bring to room temp)
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (Full fat, room temp)
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 + 1/2 Cups (133 Gms) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 Cup Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Whipping Cream
- A pinch Salt
- 1/2 Cup Valentines Sprinkles
- Few drops Pink Gel Food Coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease/spray a 6 x 3 inches round pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar till it gets light and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
- Now beat in the egg whites. Add and beat in sour cream and extracts next. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over wet. Now add milk and gently fold the batter till combined.
- The batter will be thick. Do not over mix.
- Bake for about 45-55 minutes. The cake is ready when it passes the tooth pick test. Cool it for 10-15 minutes in the pan. Cool down further on a wire rack before frosting.
For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- In a stand mixer fixed with whipping attachment, beat butter for a minute on medium high speed.
- Now add and beat in sugar, vanilla and 1 Tbsp of whipping cream and beat on low for about a minute. Then increase the speed to medium high and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you find your vanilla buttercream to be too thick, add a little more whipping cream.
- Frost and pipe as desired on cool cake. Decorate with sprinkles.