Deliciously spiced, over the top moist Apple Coffee Cake Recipe with buttery crumb topping is here to remind you that it is almost fall!
Stock up on apple and pumpkin pie spices. Grab minimum of 5 cans of Pumpkin (coz you will use them quicker than you'll know)! Take those pie dishes out. It's almost time babe and we are unstoppable! 🍃🍁🍂🍁🍂🍃
I am already in fall state of mind! And can you blame me??
Imagine a soft, buttery and warm spiced slice of cake sitting on your breakfast plate to greet you Morning in the mid of August. Wouldn't you scream it's fall?
Do you love classic old fashioned coffee cakes? The kind grandma bakes for us? If you answered yes, you are going to fall in love with this easy apple coffee cake recipe.
You will want to bake it everyday. Yep, it is that good! And so easy to whip up too.
I have baked this cake three times in a row and I am already thinking to convert this recipe into Apple crumb muffins.
Apple coffee cake ingredients
- Butter: Flavors the cake, builds the texture of cake and aerate it
- Sugar: We are using granulated one coz we already have lots of moisture in the batter from apples! <3
- Egg: Always remember to use room temperature egg. Room temp egg mixes better with butter and sugar to produce a fluffy cake
- Freshly grated Apples: And there are lots of it for a small 6'' cake!
What kind of apples are best to bake with?
Granny Smith is my number one choice. I also love using a sweet apple along with it for this cake. Here I used Red delicious.
Honey Crisps work absolutely well too!
- Spices: Coz FALL!
- Whole wheat: In my first attempt I wanted to bake a healthy apple coffee cake. I added coconut oil, honey, whole wheat to the batter along with grated apples.
The result was a soggy bake! So I opted for a healthier apple coffee cake baked with whole grains! Trust me you wouldn't guess that is whole wheat!
- Leaveners: For lift
- Salt: To balance sweetness in the cake
How to make this moist Apple cake recipe
This one is an old fashioned fresh apple cake recipe that bakes stick to your fork moist cake! Also I baked it as a whole wheat apple cake. But you could easily use half apf or just apf as flour!
- Grate 2 medium sized apples
- Cream room temperature butter and sugar till light
- Add an egg, grated apples, vanilla and spices
- Now fold in dry (flour, leavener and salt) ingredients
- Top with crumb topping
- And bake at 350 deg F until done
And how does this apple cake taste?
This fresh apple cake tastes like a bite of buttery, soft textured cake, oh-so-moist, speckled with warm spice apples through out! Oh and a buttery cinnamon streusel and a sweet vanilla glaze sitting on top.
Are you salivating yet? Ewwww!
More fall breakfast Recipes for you-
Whole wheat Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel
Follow me on Instagram for more such drool-worthy dessert recipes! And tag #Greedyeatsblog if you make this Apple Cake. Seeing your creations, makes my day! Also follow me on Pinterest and Facebook Page!
Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 8 inches Square Pan
- ½ Cup (8 Tbsp, 1 stick) Butter (softened to room temp)
- ¾ Cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg (room temp)
- 2 medium Apples (Cored and grated with peel on)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Cup Whole wheat pastry flour (or ½ cup apf+ ½ cup Whole wheat or 1 cup Apf)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Cloves
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ cup (½ stick) Butter (melted)
- 6 Tbsp Light brown Sugar
- ⅔ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Water/milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8 inches square cake tin with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. About 2-3 mns. Add egg and beat it in.
- Now stir in freshly grated apples, vanilla and all the spices.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt over wet ingredients and fold in to form batter. Do not over mix. Batter will be thick.
- Pour in the pre-lined tin. Top with crumb topping and bake for 45-55 mns or until the cake passes toothpick test. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and invert on a wire rack to cool down further.
For Crumb Topping
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon together. And pour butter over it. Mix with a fork till crumbles form. Spread over cake batter before baking.
- Mix all the three ingredients until smooth. Add more sugar if the glaze gets thinner than what you like. Add a little water if it is too thick. Drizzle on cooled cake.